Ray Brown and Colleagues Interview - Ted Panken

https://tedpanken.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/a-1996-wkcr-interview-with-ray-brown-born-85-years-ago-today/

I don't know if this got posted six years ago, but very interesting, very lengthy interview with Ray Brown and many of his musical cohorts, from OP and Thigpen to the younger players that he employed at the end of his life like Benny Green, Chris McBride etc.

Great article !  I had the pleasure of hosting Ray Brown' s group at a local Italian Jazz festival maybe 12 years ago. Besides enjoying a great show and dining with the band (sitting across from Ray and next to Hank Jones),I acted as translator for Ray for an Italian jazz magazine writer. The writer asked several questions along the lines "Miles Davis continued to innovate his sound his entire career but your bass playing has remained in the same style, why"? Mr. Brown didn't take too kindly to this line of questioning and was visibly perturbed. He said to me "Jeff , this guy better get some new questions or this interview will be over fast". I said Ray don't shoot me I'm just the messenger." Rest assure I gave theoblivious writer the lowdown but the interview was pretty brief ! Don't mess with Mr. Brown !

Great article !  I had the pleasure of hosting Ray Brown' s group at a local Italian Jazz festival maybe 12 years ago. Besides enjoying a great show and dining with the band (sitting across from Ray and next to Hank Jones),I acted as translator for Ray for an Italian jazz magazine writer. The writer asked several questions along the lines "Miles Davis continued to innovate his sound his entire career but your bass playing has remained in the same style, why"? Mr. Brown didn't take too kindly to this line of questioning and was visibly perturbed. He said to me "Jeff , this guy better get some new questions or this interview will be over fast". I said Ray don't shoot me I'm just the messenger." Rest assured I gave the oblivious writer the lowdown but the interview was pretty brief ! Don't mess with Mr. Brown !