Larry Coryell R.I.P.

ghost of miles

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I remember I heard both Sonny and Larry in the summer of 1979, just 2 months after they had recorded together. The Album wasn´t out yet, so I was not aware of it, but thought much about it afterwards.

On that festival they didn´t perform together, maybe they were not scheduled on the same day or it was for contractual reasons, but it was a beautiful period, when all those masters were in action and you were eager awaiting the next time they´d record.....

Who remembers who was on the cover of his first issue of Downbeat?  I do.  It was Larry Coryell.

I loved his work with Steve Marcus.  I was lucky enough to see him and Marcus together in the Foreplay band in Boston in '72.

I'll go dig out Tomorrow Never Know and Count's Rock Band, and spend the rest of the day listening to them.

RIP Larry!

I saw him open for John McLaughlin and for the first Mingus Dynasty band, playing solo guitar both times. He was great in that solo guitar format. He sat in with Mingus Dynasty and played a compelling, swinging solo on "Take the A Train." (The group was John Handy, Jimmy Knepper, Joe Farrell, Randy Brecker, Don Pullen, Charlie Haden, Dannie Richmond).

I saw him play duets with Chris Brubeck in a small club. That was less successful as he was very drunk.

I saw him  open for Frank Zappa in an arena, leading the Eleventh House. I liked it. He played with a lot of intensity.

His LP with Brubeck's sons is pretty good. It is direct to disc and has a strong Larry Coryell is in the room with you sound. 

I recollect when I heard him with Five Guitars Play Mingus, at one point he played a solo that was outrageous--the other four guitarists were standing off to the side of the stage with expressions of awe on their faces. 

Edited by kh1958

Yeah, I remember when Bob Moses was on Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous. They smoked some weed and jammed some Mingus. It was tight, man, tight!

Of course, these days, that's the kind of dow-nhome shit you can only see on the "dark jackweb", But everything has its purpose, right?

I first saw Larry Coryell with Mark Egan and Paul Wertico probably 10-11 years ago.  I then saw him play a song (perhaps 'In Your Own Sweet Way') in Detroit as one of the many guests who were paying tribute to Dave Brubeck.  I last saw him in 2014 with keyboardist David Garfield, saxophonist Jim Stevens, bassist Kip Reed and drummer Will Kennedy.  It was a fun night that consisted mainly of funky fusion.  I remember a hard-hitting version of 'Come Together', and Larry Coryell was a guitar god that night.  Foolishly, when he returned to the same club a couple of years ago, I didn't attend because the club's atmosphere is often unpleasant and obnoxious.  I assumed that I'd get to catch him again, either at that club or somewhere else, and I regret not biting the bullet and putting up with a horrible experience to see Larry Coryell bring down the house again.

I haven't heard much if his recorded work, but I'll be exploring more of his leader dates and work with The Eleventh House, Gary Burton and others.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Coryell, and rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...