BFT156 Announcement and Discussion

Hot Ptah

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, I have a certain zone in which I have a fair number of reference points. Past that, I'm really clueless. And there is a lot of "past that", a lot.

I like your thoughtful comments more than your correct guesses. That is why I enjoy your participation in these BFTs.

On 3/19/2017 at 10:43 PM, JSngry said:

No, I have a certain zone in which I have a fair number of reference points. Past that, I'm really clueless. And there is a lot of "past that", a lot.

Call it what you will, but you have GREAT ears, my man.

i'm looking forward to finding out about no.5. trumpet sounds indeed a bit like terry but it's somebody else. and there are two guitarists. soloist is a clean picker with strong chops, maybe an older bopper who incooperated some more modern material. sounds a bit like billy bean in the 80s. intriguing.

OK, finally weighing in...

1 – For a minute I thought it might be Abdullah Ibrahim, but it isn’t. Somebody young, I’d guess?

2 – Very Tynerish in its Tynerishness. Maybe the sax player is the leader? Azar Lawrence, Carlos Garnett? Or maybe it’s a record by that guy who sounds so much like Tyner to me, Nate Morgan?

4 – RIP Arthur.

5 – This probably says more about me than it does about the music, but – For me, the most interesting moments here are the ones just after the trumpeter and guitarist fall off the beat and make good recoveries. Is that Jake Hanna on drums?

6 – Gotta love that arrangement, with the break at the end of the choruses.

8 – You’re right, I gotta find this one.

9 – From one of Henry’s About Time recordings?

10 – So it’s James Newton (you had him on a BFT before, didn’t you?) and a trombonist who isn’t Ray Anderson. I’m thinking George Lewis. From there it wasn’t hard to turn up the answer – track 1 here.

11 – High Space Fidelity!

12 – Is that from the CD I gave you?

Another good one, Bill!

11 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

OK, finally weighing in...

1 – For a minute I thought it might be Abdullah Ibrahim, but it isn’t. Somebody young, I’d guess?

Kind of Young.

Not a child prodigy or anything like that.

2 – Very Tynerish in its Tynerishness. Maybe the sax player is the leader? Azar Lawrence, Carlos Garnett? Or maybe it’s a record by that guy who sounds so much like Tyner to me, Nate Morgan?

None of those guesses are correct, sorry.

4 – RIP Arthur.

Indeed!

5 – This probably says more about me than it does about the music, but – For me, the most interesting moments here are the ones just after the trumpeter and guitarist fall off the beat and make good recoveries. Is that Jake Hanna on drums?

It is not Jake Hanna. I like your thought about the interesting moments. To me, this live performance is a bit sloppy but also vibrant and exciting.

6 – Gotta love that arrangement, with the break at the end of the choruses.

You may be surprised when this track is identified.

8 – You’re right, I gotta find this one.

Only on LP, if you are referring to Johnny Copeland.

9 – From one of Henry’s About Time recordings?

Yes indeed.

10 – So it’s James Newton (you had him on a BFT before, didn’t you?) and a trombonist who isn’t Ray Anderson. I’m thinking George Lewis. From there it wasn’t hard to turn up the answer – track 1 here.

Yes, you are the first one to identify the album and co-leader.

11 – High Space Fidelity!

Well, space anyway.

12 – Is that from the CD I gave you?

It may be on a CD that you gave me, but if so, I do not remember. I took it from a CD which I purchased.

Another good one, Bill!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

I do love me some Nat Morgan music.  And I have been impatiently waiting all month to find out about this cut.

OK, then --

Number 6 is the leadoff track on "Soul Jazz Fridays," which can be purchased at http://sunflowersoulrecords.com/

And those who care to know more about the leader on 6 are asked to kindly click on this article dozens and dozens of times daily for the next decade so its humble, humble author gets credit for your clicks from an employer that counts these things:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article107837457.html

1 hour ago, Spontooneous said:

OK, then --

Number 6 is the leadoff track on "Soul Jazz Fridays," which can be purchased at http://sunflowersoulrecords.com/

And those who care to know more about the leader on 6 are asked to kindly click on this article dozens and dozens of times daily for the next decade so its humble, humble author gets credit for your clicks from an employer that counts these things:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article107837457.html

Yes, you have identified Track 6 correctly. I find it interesting that after hearing this local Kansas City group, one board member commented that the band "doesn't quite catch the groove", but that no one else found fault with them, and no one guessed that this is a local group.

Edited by Hot Ptah