Gary Burton Retiring

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Milestones said:

I would love to hear some new music by Jay Hoggard and James Newton--separately, or better yet together.

Yeah! :tup Me too! 

And, while they're at it, they should bring in Anthony Davis on piano -- since he seemed to run & record with both of those guys. ;) 

• 10 months later...
On 3/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I was able to see Gary Burton on several occasions, leading his quartet with Tiger Oshiki, Steve Swallow and a drummer I've forgotten, with Makoto Ozone, Steve Swallow and Adam Nussbaum (though the drummer never recorded with him), during the Eddie Daniels-Gary Burton tribute to Benny Goodman tour that had Ozone in place of Mulgrew Miller, along with the duo set with Ozone at IAJE that preceded the release of Virtuosi, which featured classical music they revamped. I did a couple of interviews with Burton and he was always thoughtful and very detailed in his responses. It was a joy to hear him praise budding talents like Julian Lage and the joy it gave him to discover and give direction to prodigies. 

He will be missed, I hope he enjoys retirement and that his health stabilizes.

There's a video from the '85 Montreal festival with Nussbaum on youtube..