Opinions sought: Dexter Gordon - 5 Original Albums

GA Russell

The other day I read Dexter Gordon's Downbeat interview from the Feb 10, 1977, issue.  That has motivated me to consider picking something of his up.

This package has always been inexpensive.  Today it is $8.88 + $3.99.
https://www.amazon.com/5-Original-Albums-DEXTER-GORDON/dp/B01KL0L9AS

Has anyone heard this, and recommend it?  Or do you recommend something else of his instead?

Thanks!

I haven't heard this package, but I have heard each album within, and probably in the same mastering presented here.

I have bought the Kenny Burrell box in this series just to test the series out. I'm very happy with the sound and the packaging is fine for the price. 

Get it. A great value. Great music.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

The other day I read Dexter Gordon's Downbeat interview from the Feb 10, 1977, issue.  That has motivated me to consider picking something of his up.

This package has always been inexpensive.  Today it is $8.88 + $3.99.
https://www.amazon.com/5-Original-Albums-DEXTER-GORDON/dp/B01KL0L9AS

Has anyone heard this, and recommend it?  Or do you recommend something else of his instead?

Thanks!

Really, No Dexter????  I have owned these for years. Agree with Jazzbo, Great music! Required actually.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I'm not a fan of Dex's Prestige albums.  The rhythm sections are generally a mismatch (I'm looking at you, Alan Dawson).

Agreed, I usually go to the 60's Blue Notes or the Steeplechases to listen to him,

39 minutes ago, Patrick said:

A little odd that Go! is not included in that BN package, but a great collection of prime Dexter there.

They also omitted "Our Man In Paris", and it could be argued that those two are his finest work for Blue Note.

3 hours ago, mjzee said:

I'm not a fan of Dex's Prestige albums.  The rhythm sections are generally a mismatch (I'm looking at you, Alan Dawson).

Without getting into a long discussion, I would be the first to acknowledge that the Prestige material is wildly inconsistent and certainly has issues, including some faulty rhythm sections, generally too little preparation and less inspired material. But Alan Dawson is neither the problem nor a symbol of what went wrong. Of the 16 LPs included in the Gordon Prestige box, Dawson is on just two. One is the best of the entire lot: "The Panther" with Tommy Flanagan and Larry Ridley. The other -- the two-tenor jam under Booker Ervin's name -- is just ok, but Byard, Workman and Dawson are by no means mismatched. 

Anyone who loves Dexter and hasn't heard "The Panther"  and "Generation" (Freddie/Cedar/Buster/Higgins) is missing out. Those records are very strong LPs.  Coda: The "Tower of Power/More Power" material isn't as inspired but it does have a great trio in Barry Harris, Buster Williams and Tootie Heath.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I admit to being very surprised by the negative comments on Dexter Gordon's Prestige recordings.

The Panther is one of my very favorite of all of Dexter's records/CDs.

others I like a lot include :

Generation

The Jumping' Blues

The Tower of Power

More Power

Tangerine

Ca'Purange

Of the seven CDs I have mentioned drummer Alan Dawson only plays on one of them, and interestedly it happens to be on The Panther, my favorite. The drummers on these various sessions include Billy Higgins, Roy Brooks, Tootie Heath and Louis Hayes.

Pianists include Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Cedar Walton, and Wynton Kelly. Bass players are Sam Jones, Buster Williams, Stanley Clark, and Larry Ridley.

Here's where I lost my Dexter virginity, Side 1,Cut 1. Sptember of 1974, in the dorm room of a cat from Seattle named Karl Lampman.

Maybe it's a case of never fully getting over your first love, but it's still a favorite.

The very first thing I noticed - and really got shook up by - was here was a guy who played "modern" and did not once play a double-time passage. That just fucked me up, totally, I mean, how many choruses does he play here, memorable melodic phrases out the ass  and not one sixteenth note passage. That is just awesome!

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

The very first thing I noticed - and really got shook up by - was here was a guy who played "modern" and did not once play a double-time passage. That just fucked me up, totally, I mean, how many choruses does he play here, memorable melodic phrases out the ass  and not one sixteenth note passage. That is just awesome!

Dexter was a man who knew how to relax.

Edited by Mark Stryker

6 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Dexter was a man who knew how to relax.

Especially with a good rhythm section!

There's some double-time, but only as relevant to the plot, as they used to say in the trade magazines.

Also, very much like the (presumably Paul Goodman?) engineering on this one, a distinct (and welcome) lack of the RVG Wash Of Reverb, which is all good and all that, but Dexter's was very much an "in your face" tone, intimate, but still, you never had to guess if he was there or not, if you know what I mean. This captures that quality quite well. imo.

Anyway a good choice, especially if someone is not a collector and doesn´t feel the need to have all his BN recordings. They are all fine albums .

About the Prestige albums: I really like "Tangerine" and "Ca Purange" with the very young Stanley Clark, its a nice idea to add a new face to the older stuff.

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

So clearly it's a matter of taste, but compared to some of DG's other BN albums, Gettin' Around is quite underwhelming.

Of course, taste.

But I would note that "Gettin' Around" has a much different vibe than the others -- they were going for something much more laid-back, a feeling I think is captured by that cover picture of Dexter on a bicycle, enjoying life outside of the rat-race; and that relaxed vibe is epitomized by the two best tracks, "Heartaches" and "Shiny Stockings.". Having said that, it's  not my favorite of the Blue Notes either. In a fire, I'm grabbing "Our Man in Paris" first and if there's room picking up "Go" as I flee. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

As long as this has devolved into a discussion of all things Dexter, more or less, has anyone else noticed that the melody of "Soul Sister" (1st track Dexter Calling) is strikingly similar (IMHO) to that of "Juncko Partner"?  and what's up with the cover of Dexter Calling? If it was any worse it'd be Prestige.  Whatever the shortcomings of Prestige (Dexter's or anyone's) were, I don't think it was Alan Dawson's fault...IMHO he's one of the bright spots on the label!  Our Man In Paris would be my fav DG.