Everyone's fav Trane album

16 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

For the record, in a one artist-one record challenge I'm taking " Transition." And for dessert: the five-minute tag from the 1962 "Bye Bye Blackbird" 

I am, too.  With a side helping of Newport '63 Favorite Things.  Honorable mention to Crescent and to Live at Birdland,  which each have their places in my heart.  And A Love Supreme is the album that jumpstarted me into jazz, so it will always have great meaning to me beyond its obvious musical merits.  I like Alice Coltrane fine.  No, she's not McCoy Tyner.  Who is?  Ali's work with Trane is largely lost on me.  But Live in Seatlle shows that Tyner and Jones couldn't go on in the direction Trane was headed, and I am thankful for their subsequent leader work over the next decade, some of my favorite music ever.  Tyner's "Sahara" means as much to me as almost any Trane album.

Edited by felser
Newport '63, not '64

1 hour ago, felser said:

I am, too.  With a side helping of Newport '63 Favorite Things. 

That's interesting. I'm not a huge fan of Favorite Things, just because it was played to death over the course of his catalog. 

BUT, the version I really, REALLY like is the one from New Thing At Newport. It's the sound of four monstrously creative forces in completely uncontrolled, yet perfectly contained, chaos. The sound of a group in meltdown mode from having flown too close to the sun, and living to tell the tale. 

I'll have to check out the Newport '63 version again due to your recommendation, as it seems like you and I have a similar ear for Trane. 

As more than a snap shot of the so-called "sheets of sound" period, I've always been very fond of Wilbur Harden's "Mainstream 1958," with Trane, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, and Louis Hayes. That rhythm section is just perfect for what Trane was doing at the time. And Harden is no slouch. Trane's solo on this track begins at 3:27 (what an entrance!) and never ceases to thrill me. The head rattle-ing
swing he generates! And not just through timing and accents -- the intervals themselves are like precise hammer blows.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

As more than a snap shot of the so-called "sheets of sound" period, I've always been very fond of Wilbur Harden's "Mainstream 1958," with Trane, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, and Louis Hayes. That rhythm section is just perfect for what Trane was doing at the time. And Harden is no slouch. Trane's solo on this track begins at 3:27 (what an entrance!) and never ceases to thrill me. The head rattle-ing
swing he generates! And not just through timing and accents -- the intervals themselves are like precise hammer blows.

Coda: All-Detroit rhythm section ...

56 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Coda: All-Detroit rhythm section ...

I love Doug Watkins. He must have been a fan of Oscar Pettiford -- I hear a good deal of kinship. 

BTW, what a shame that expatriation and then early death deprived us of all the records Pettiford could have made in the US in the '60s and beyond. For what he could do in a hard bop context, check out the Red Rodney album on Signal from 1957, with Ira Sullivan on tenor and the drumming split between Elvin Jones and Philly Joe Jones. It's available here, coupled with another Rodney date from that time with Billy Root:

https://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Quintets-1955-1959-Borrowed-Time/dp/B002EPAOKU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1489097126&sr=1-1&keywords=red+rodney+1957

4 hours ago, felser said:

With a side helping of Newport '63 Favorite Things.

Anybody else think that version of MFT is mildly overrated?  By which I mean that it's not obviously better to my ears than the 6 other versions Coltrane recorded in 1963.  It merely had a better publicist

Edited by Guy Berger

16 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Anybody else think that version of MFT is mildly overrated?  By which I mean that it's not obviously better to my ears than the 6 other versions Coltrane recorded in 1963.  It merely had a better publicist

I'm not sure if it's overrated, but the fact there are 6 different recorded versions from that year make me cringe...