Bob Mankoff to Step Down as Cartoon Editor of The New Yorker

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Yep, it's about time he stepped down. Not that it'll make any difference. 

These do suck, you know. Neither clever, or funny, imho. Such are the times.

http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/daily-cartoon

Incidentally, how much does the cartoon editor at the New Yorker pull? No less than $120K a year, I bet. Sweet gig.

Well, The New Yorker as a whole took a major downturn in the past year, as their Trump, race and gender obsessions have made the whole magazine rather tedious.  Not sure that Mankoff can be blamed for that - he was hopefully just following orders.  There were 3 really funny cartoons in the last issue.  I more dread who they'll bring on to replace him, but in any event I don't plan on renewing my subscription.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Well, The New Yorker as a whole took a major downturn in the past year, as their Trump, race and gender obsessions have made the whole magazine rather tedious.  

For the same reason I stopped reading the NYT. I remember reading an issue on a transatlantic flight last summer, and the Hillary love-fest even made it into the Arts section, where they were salivating over her wardrobe choices. In conjunction to all of that the quality of their writing suffered tremendously. That was the end for me. 

Does Seymour Hersh still write for the New Yorker? Damn good journalist.

Edited by Dmitry

I'm afraid I still find many of the cartoons funny.  There are always one or two I don't get.  (Mankoff said that that was common but the cartoons that people don't "get" are different from person to person.)  The online daily cartoons (not sure when they added those) are usually political and topical more so than the magazine ones. 

Edited by alankin

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I only think of Turing Machine in the context of the post-rock band... 

Off topic, but how IS Turing Machine? They used to have a great drummer named Jerry Fuchs who I was familiar with from another band, Maserati. He died a few years ago in a freak accident, unfortunately.