Mosaic article, 'The Survivalists' - March 2017

I was able to get a review copy of one Newvelle LP by Don Friedman. Great music, nice pressing and audio, but odd packaging. Who wants a poem in the album jacket while having to download the liner notes and musician credits?                                                                                                                    

I hope their subscription system ends up working, though I feel that not everyone wants to pay a premium for all six to seven LPs in a series, they might just want one or two. 

I wish them the best of luck.

"The artists in the first season were all young New York post-bebop cats: the Ben Allison Trio, Don Friedman Trio, Leo Genovese Trio, Frank Kimbrough Quintet, Noah Preminger Quartet, and Jack DeJohnette (solo piano)."
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/survivalists-mosaic-and-newvelle-records-page-2#yB8ZPwWKwdwO6YVT.99

Ben Allison is 50, I'm 60, Jack DeJohnette is 74, and Don Friedman was 80 when he passed away shortly before his record was released. We are all veterans who have put in many years of work - not some young whipper-snappers who just got off the bus.   I don't mean to be a nit-picker or a drag, but Mr. Baird should have done his homework.

That said, hats off to JC and Elan at Newvelle - I wish them well. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is so good to read this about Mosaic. It makes me hopeful for its future.

My mother bought me many Mosaic boxes in what this article reveals were their early, struggling years, only because the people at Mosaic who answered her phone calls were so nice. I had great birthdays and Christmases throughout the 1980s.