Dover Quartet Debut CD

JSngry

71t%2BgnsS%2BqL._SL1200_.jpg

71dSMQQaEtL._SL1200_.jpg

I'd like to be able to say that this is the record that has finally gotten my jazzed about Mozart, but it's not.

It is, however, a fine document of how this group sounds and plays live, and I will say that it's a record that has helped me see why I should probably keep trying with Mozart, because when a band plays this well...it gets - and holds - your attention,. let me put it that way. And that's always been my problem with Mozart, it seldom gets, and has to to really hold, my attention.

Very interested in what listeners with a deeper background think about this band, and these playings, especially. Both times I've heard them, it has been with very un-Mozart type repertoire.

Would really appreciate somebody/anybody with a longer set of ears for string quartet sounds than my own to at least listen to the samples to see if there's anything "different" about this group's sound. To me, it seems that they speak with an exceptional clarity and individual/group balance. But I really don't have that much to go by, so...help?

Well-informed historical perspective opinions much desired!

Don't follow the classical music buzz machine, but have noticed the good reviews on amazon and other places. All I can really speak for is how they affect me. Seems that the buzz machine is finding plenty of people who say they feel the same way, but...I dunno, I'm skeptical of hype in general, especially when it's in such a niche market as this.

What I do like is that they're young, have hung together and seem to be in it for the long haul, and play with a sound that, to me, doesn't replicate other groups of the past. And they really get inside the music.

What I don't know is if what I'm hearing is the result of not having a big enough sample size to really know that part about not sounding like other groups.

From one of those reviews: "So here, out of a blue, comes the Dover Quartet’s debut album, titled Tribute, in recognition and appreciation of the players’ teachers and coaches, the members of the Guarneri Quartet."

I guess I'd start with the Guarneri Quartet, if looking for comparison or similarities. The quintet piece on "Tribute" includes a founding member of the Guarneri, violinist Michael Tree, so I'm sure there's some degree of influence there. As far as looking for similarities, I guess I'd start here