Must-have box sets (non-Mosaic)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with the Ellington Centennial set that Mr. Mingus mentions in the first post, these boxes are at the top of my list:

- Billie Holiday - Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia (1933-1944)

- John Coltrane - The Classic Quartet: Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings

- Warne Marsh & Lee Konitz - Two Not One (Storyville)

- Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy - Live at Dreher, Paris 1981 (Hatology)

I have to admit that I'm not big on boxes these days - I just don't listen to them much, which is completely my fault - but I'll second the recs of Bird on Savoy and Dial, and Billie on Columbia.

A few other favorites: Louis - Hot 5's and 7's (either Columbia or JSP); Bud - Complete Verve; Django - the JSP sets mastered by Ted Kendall.

If I'm allowed to stretch it to non-jazz sets: the  Muddy, Wolf, and Walter sets on Chess/Hip-O Select; Elmore James - Flair/Virgin/Ace (Flair/Modern/Meteor/etc. sides) and Capricorn (Bobby Robinson sides); Budapest String Quartet - Beethoven String Quartets - United Archives.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

I have to admit that I'm not big on boxes these days - I just don't listen to them much, which is completely my fault - but I'll second the recs of Bird on Savoy and Dial...

My only quibble with this box is the insane amount of alternate takes, false starts and breakdowns. It just seems like they stuffed a little TOO much fluff in it. It can sometimes be a chore to wade through it all to get to the substance. 

I do give them extra points for the unique packaging, though. 

9 hours ago, alankin said:

What's the Pharoah Sanders box?  I wasn't aware of it.

Lon is correct - it's one of the promo boxes issued by Disk Union to house the Japanese Impulse gatefold mini-LP reissues in the "Pharoah Sanders Collection" series.

There's a presumably complete list of Disk Union boxes here:

http://www.minilps.net/japan-box-etc-authorised/disk-union-box

3 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Lon is correct - it's one of the promo boxes issued by Disk Union to house the Japanese Impulse gatefold mini-LP reissues in the "Pharoah Sanders Collection" series.

Wow - never heard of these.  Would like to own a couple ...

Duke Ellington Complete RCA Victor recordings 24 CD set

Duke Ellington Columbia Studio Albums 1951-1958

Duke Ellington Columbia Studio Albums 1959-1961

Charles Mingus Passions of A man

Miles Davis Prestige set

Miles Davis/Gil Evans Columbia CD Set (Don't know if this counts it was also a Mosaic LP set)

Miles Davis John Coltrane Columbia Set

Louis Armstrong Hot Five/Hot Seven JSP set

Bix Beiderbecke Bix Restored vol. 1-vol. 5

Charlie Christian Genius of Electric Guitar

Clifford Brown Brownie Complete EmArCy recordings

Had it been organised differently: Bird the complete Charlie Parker on Verve. All those incomplete takes should have been on a seperate disk. And it isn't complete anymore.

The same goes for the false starts, incomplete takes and studio chatter on the Bilie Holiday and Lester Young verve sets.

Edited by miles65
typo

On 3/9/2017 at 3:49 PM, Dave Garrett said:

A question for you and/or Lon, or anyone...

Just to be clear, the Disk Union boxes are "empty" boxes, are they not? In other words, a product for collectors to buy just to hold CDs they've purchased separately. That's my recollection, but my memory seams to be going (!). So I would appreciate the confirmation...

Thx.

Edited by jdw

18 hours ago, jdw said:

A question for you and/or Lon, or anyone...

Just to be clear, the Disk Union boxes are "empty" boxes, are they not? In other words, a product for collectors to buy just to hold CDs they've purchased separately. That's my recollection, but my memory seams to be going (!). So I would appreciate the confirmation...

Thx.

Yes, the Disk Union boxes are empty, although you will frequently find them sold along with the discs they were designed to contain - that's how I got the Sanders box. If memory serves, they're referred to as "promo" boxes because Disk Union offered them as an extra to customers who bought the complete set of discs they were intended to house. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

The Complete Recordings of Sun Ra, that four foot high box in the shape of the planet Saturn.

Hey, I can dream!

You can put it right beside that jug-shaped set of the Complete Prestige Recordings of Gene Ammons.......

gregmo

On 3/14/2017 at 11:21 PM, Dave Garrett said:

Just noticed that FLACs of the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz are available at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/Smithsonian-Collection-of-Classic-Jazz-lossless

Thanks for posting this.  I hadn't listened to the Smithsonian Collection in 40 years-although this newer version sports a slightly different track selection, it is excellent.  I found the juxtaposition of Fletcher Henderson, Red Nichols, and Bennie Moten stimulating.