In Search of...with Leonard Nimoy

GA Russell

I remember when this TV show was on forty years ago.  I think I saw it once.  I remember David Letterman once saying that they were running out of ideas, and that next week's show would be "In search of Leonard's car keys."

Does anyone here have an opinion?  Was this show stupid, or did it actually point out many unexplained phenomena?

Should I get a DVD?

Thanks!

I remember it well but I think its impossible to say, today, whether it would be decent entertainment without giving it a shot first.

Similarly, two Christmas's ago I bought the DVD set of "When Things Were Rotten" a short-lived Mel Brooks tv show produced at the time of his huge movie successes. I remembered my 8 year old self thinking this was hysterical and wondering if my not-8-anymore self would still find it so.  But my wife had never seen it so I went with it and ... turned out it held up surprisingly well.

So who knows on In Search Of but if anyone is thinking about When Things Were Rotten, I say "go for it!"

I remember seeing snippets of "In Search Of..." but I can't say I ever made a point of watching an entire show. 

Since Dan mentioned Mel Brooks, does anyone remember Mel Brooks' short-lived sitcom "The Nutt House," which starred Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman? 
It was set in a Manhattan hotel that had seen better days. One of the running gags is that the elevator didn't always stop evenly with the floor, another was the huge prop rear end affixed to Leachman's character. It ran about 5-7 episodes before NBC cancelled it.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks guys.  I took the plunge.

complete - $18.99 prime
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LTHOP8U/

I'd be curious to know how these look when you get them. I wouldn't expect HD quality from a 70s TV show, but I've been on the fence about whether to get this (much cheaper) reissue or the earlier set released by VEI. The earlier one also contains the two pilot episodes, but more importantly, it has almost twice the number of discs, leading me to suspect that they used a lot more compression on the reissue. 

19 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Dave, most of my DVDs are old TV shows, so I am accustomed to less than stellar video.  You should see the 1960 Grey Cup!

I hear you. I have unofficial DVDs of some of the Warner TV series of the late 50s/early 60s (Hawaiian Eye, etc.), and the quality leaves a lot to be desired (think multigeneration VHS dubs that have been converted to a digital format, with compression artifacts added in the process), but when that's all that's available, you make do. I am amused every time I run across comments from someone who swears that they just can't watch something if it's not available on Blu-ray or streaming in HD.

Yeah, it's not like the good old Zenith with the antenna up on the roof was pulling in crystal-clear Channel 6 from75 miles away back in 1959, right?

Same thing with commercials, a lot of the Roku PD stations have commercial break. Brenda hates it, but I'm like, hell, if this was 1972 and this Charlie Chan shit was on the Channel 3 Sunday afternoon rotation, there's be a helluva lot more commercials than this, so chill out and go fix a sandwich, like we used to,

On 3/10/2017 at 3:21 PM, JSngry said:

Yeah, it's not like the good old Zenith with the antenna up on the roof was pulling in crystal-clear Channel 6 from75 miles away back in 1959, right?

Same thing with commercials, a lot of the Roku PD stations have commercial break. Brenda hates it, but I'm like, hell, if this was 1972 and this Charlie Chan shit was on the Channel 3 Sunday afternoon rotation, there's be a helluva lot more commercials than this, so chill out and go fix a sandwich, like we used to,

Commercials, hell! 

If you weren't doing rabbit ear yoga with the requisite aluminum foil, you weren't watching jack shit back in the day. 

And mastering the horizontal hold? Art. 

Edited by Scott Dolan