PM's(?) that seem to be publicly(!) visible??

Rooster_Ties

I normally browse the forum on my phone, and look at new posts since my last visit. And sometimes I seem to see what appear to be personal messages, in that same feed, which I'm rather suprised to see (since I would assume those would be private). For example, just a couple hours ago today, this one appeared (see example below).

I've been seeing such (presumably private?) messages for some time, and have always meant to inquire as to why they seemed to be public (or at least visible to me).

Is anyone else seeing these?  Is this utilizing some other function that I'm not aware of?  Kind of a head-scratcher.

(Also, as the exchange appears in my feed, I also see an edit box giving me(!) the ability to "reply to this status...". - ??)

Ciao Lon,

I saw that you ordered the new Hank Mobley from Jazz Messengers.I used to order from them monthly for years-great store ! I visited them in Madrid.

I was wondering if you've received it,how is it and how is the sound?

Thanks Lon,  Jeff

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Interesting. . . seems as if that's a PM to me, but it's not one that I have received! 

Checked my profile page and there that message was, I guess it was a profile status post? Anyway I responded to Jeff. . . . Who knows, that may show up on your phone. Don't know why that's happening. I don't have (or want) a phone with an internet access plan so I can't see if these things are showing up. . . . 

FWIW, I've been seeing these sorts of direct comminications off and on for months (maybe 3-5 a month?). Usually of the polite/friendly sort as the example here...

...but I do remember one that was a little pointed (about a CD purchase, iirc).

I've got some snapshots ("phone screenshots)" of past examples on my phone. I'll see if I can upload them, somehow, here.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Didn't see it til RT pointed it out, went to my profile page and it shows up in Activity, not in private messaging.

I think if someone goes to your profile page and leaves a message in your "feed" it shows up publicly. 

For example, click on my profile and you'll see that option under the activity tab. Because I can see that exchange when I look at your profile. 

Looks like it works like a pseudo Facebook "wall" kind of thing. Before Lois shut down JC, there was a similar feature. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I think if someone goes to your profile page and leaves a message in your "feed" it shows up publicly. 

For example, click on my profile and you'll see that option under the activity tab. Because I can see that exchange when I look at your profile. 

Looks like it works like a pseudo Facebook "wall" kind of thing. Before Lois shut down JC, there was a similar feature. 

Yep. These are status updates, not PMs. If you use the "new since last visit" option to view posts, they show up there with the notation " posted a status update to " (paraphrasing the language here from memory).

• 2 years later...
On 12/03/2017 at 10:42 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

But, it made me wonder if Jazz Messengers has a store in Madrid? Barcelona, yes - been there and spent money.

That's the same thing I wondered about when I started reading this thread. They're from Barcelona, where they have a store (to which I have been). But in Madrid I think they have none. But who knows...

On 13/03/2017 at 1:29 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Good that you point that out. Now I know what I don't have to do.