Happy 92nd Birthday, Roy Haynes!

Justin V

The great Roy Haynes turns 92 today.

21.haynesspan.jpg

I had the honor of attending his birthday celebration on Friday at the Blue Note.  His special guest that night was the wonderful tap dancer Savion Glover.  As I hoped and expected it would, the presence of a tap platform onstage inspired Roy to tap dance himself while his band accompanied him.  One highlight was when Roy took an extended solo built around the hi-hat that was a study in creativity, focus and control.  In addition to his regular saxophonist, Jaleel Shaw, and pianist, Martin Bejerano, Roy was joined by Ed Howard on bass.  I'm used to seeing David Wong manning the bass in the group, but Howard acquitted himself well and provided flexible support throughout the night.  

I had seen Glover with McCoy Tyner and Jack DeJohnette, so I knew to expect remarkable dancing, but Roy pushed him hard, particularly during the second set.  The groove was so deep;  Roy's drumming always sounds like dancing to me, so the presence of a tap dancer of Glover's caliber was a logical addition that complemented Roy's playing.  You could tell that Roy and Savion were having the time of their lives, and the rest of the band engaged in trading with Glover as well.  Roy's band is one of the finest in the music, and the way they let loose in their solos and their accompaniment was something to see.  

Like last year when I attended, I sat right by the drums and was blown away.  No one plays like Roy Haynes, and the way that he continues on with such joy, passion and breathtaking skill is inspirational.  I'm already looking forward to next year's celebration.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Haynes!

Edited by Justin V

• 2 weeks later...