• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, alankin said:

Giving in to an Impulse! impulse, I'm now listening to the following:

Marion BrownGeechee Recollections (Impulse! / Verve EU – 2-on-1 series )
— With Marion Brown — alto saxophone, soprano saxophone, clarinet, percussion; Leo Smith — brass, strings, percussion; William Malone — thumb piano, autoharp; James Jefferson — double bass, cello, percussion; Steve McCall — drums, percussion; A. Kobena Adzenyah — drums, African percussion; Jumma Santos — congas, miscellaneous instruments; Bill Hasson — percussion, narration; on two-fer that also includes Sweet Earth Flying

Geechee_Recollections.jpg  8139sUH%2B8TL._SX300_.jpg

Tremendous music.  The two LPs coupled on this CD are Brown's very best, imho.

2 hours ago, l p said:

bswe02.jpg

charlie parker
October 31, 1950 Unknown TV studio, New York
November 22, 1950 Amiralen Dance Hall, Malmo
November 24, 1950 Folkets Park, Helsingborg

They way that all of those guys are leaning in, hanging on Bird's every word, vaguely reminds me this famous picture of JRM with the Red Hot Peppers:

66d940f0848238fba97e985629d1f842.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

NP:

FF_NonElectricCo.png

Frank Foster - "The Frank Foster Non-Electric Company" (EPM Musique)
Recorded in Belgian nightclub in 1979 -- with Ted Dunbar (g); Mickey Tucker (p); Earl May (b); Billy Hart (d). Nice opportunity to hear Foster stretch out in a small-group context.

This music is available for streaming via amazon prime under the title Shiny Stockings:

c455d335ed9d6e94c91f1f7d052cf54f1ffb01ea

BTW: Don't confuse this music with a Denon release called Shiny Stockings. The title is the same, but the recordings are different.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, HutchFan said:

Thanks, xybert, for this info! I really appreciate it. :tup  Would love to hear your impressions of Talisman too, after you've had a chance to take it in.

51AMp5BejGL._SX425_.jpg 

This arrived for me yesterday and i've listened to it twice now. To be honest i'm having a hard time pinning down what i think of it. Part of me thinks that it's the type of album that would resonate more if you're more familiar with the artist. For me, a lot of these tunes are crying out for a band to come in and 'adorn' them, if that makes sense. A lot of vamps a la Keith Jarrett but they don't really go anywhere, some pretty songs a la Jarrett but they don't build and crescendo or have those dazzling runs like Jarrett. There are times where you're like "okay he's going to launch now," but he doesn't, he just carries on vamping until it fades out. Now, this can definitely be seen as a good thing, rather than a bad thing, and this is where mileages will vary. But on initial listens it feels a bit underwhelming. BUT, there's flavour there, there's a restrained ecstasy about it, and i think it's going to grow on me. I think that because there are those Jarrett flavours in there it just really throws you off. It's almost like he's a weird, alternate universe (or New Zealand lol) version of Jarrett.

I'd be keen to hear what you think of it to be honest. If you had to pick between this or Piano Solos i'd go for Piano Solos, although this album has the potential to be much greater to my ears depending on how it grows on me. Cheers.

1 hour ago, xybert said:

51AMp5BejGL._SX425_.jpg 

This arrived for me yesterday and i've listened to it twice now. To be honest i'm having a hard time pinning down what i think of it. Part of me thinks that it's the type of album that would resonate more if you're more familiar with the artist. For me, a lot of these tunes are crying out for a band to come in and 'adorn' them, if that makes sense. A lot of vamps a la Keith Jarrett but they don't really go anywhere, some pretty songs a la Jarrett but they don't build and crescendo or have those dazzling runs like Jarrett. There are times where you're like "okay he's going to launch now," but he doesn't, he just carries on vamping until it fades out. Now, this can definitely be seen as a good thing, rather than a bad thing, and this is where mileages will vary. But on initial listens it feels a bit underwhelming. BUT, there's flavour there, there's a restrained ecstasy about it, and i think it's going to grow on me. I think that because there are those Jarrett flavours in there it just really throws you off. It's almost like he's a weird, alternate universe (or New Zealand lol) version of Jarrett.

I'd be keen to hear what you think of it to be honest. If you had to pick between this or Piano Solos i'd go for Piano Solos, although this album has the potential to be much greater to my ears depending on how it grows on me. Cheers.

Many thanks, xybert! :tup 

Now listening to more Frank Foster:

511isHiHTvL._SX400_.jpg

Frank Foster and the Loud Minority Band - Well Water (Piadrum)

This is superb.

Edited by HutchFan

On 3/16/2017 at 11:03 AM, Larry Kart said:

Just placed my order witrh CD Japan successfully. Looking forward to what the album sounds like in this form. My LP copy is a mess.

every pressing on that label that I ever had sounded like that. I just ordered the CD after I saw your post. We will just have to hope.