• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bobby HutchersonSpiral (Blue Note Connoisseur)
— Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone, marimba; Harold Land - saxophone; Stanley Cowell - piano; Reggie Johnson - bass; Joe Chambers - drums; two compositions by Chambers and one each by Hutcherson, Land and Cowell; 11/11/1968; on two-fer with Medina

21243.jpg   220px-Spiral_bobby.jpeg  415KBSEAJNL.jpg

Edited by alankin

51 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I really like that one, though I'm not sure it tops the Mobile Fidelity SACD on my system. Love them both.

If I had been able to preview both discs at home, I think I would have bought just the Ultra HD CD. But then I would have been tempted to get the MFSL for completeness' sake, of course.

Edited by erwbol

57 minutes ago, erwbol said:

If I had been able to preview both discs at home, I think I would have bought just the Ultra HD CD. But then I would have been tempted to get the MFSL for completeness' sake, of course.

If I were comparing just the Redbook layers I'm not sure what I'd choose, they're both really good. But the SACD layer seals the deal for the MOFI for me, it's a must have. I'm glad to have both. . . and several other versions. Anyway, these sort of things are very subjective.

The system is really liking the Dutch Jazz Orchestra disc today. "Basin Street" was really good. I'm able to crank and no glare.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, alankin said:

Bobby HutchersonSpiral (Blue Note Connoisseur)
— Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone, marimba; Harold Land - saxophone; Stanley Cowell - piano; Reggie Johnson - bass; Joe Chambers - drums; two compositions by Chambers and one each by Hutcherson, Land and Cowell; 11/11/1968; on two-fer with Medina

21243.jpg   220px-Spiral_bobby.jpeg  415KBSEAJNL.jpg

Fantastic music ....

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

If I were comparing just the Redbook layers I'm not sure what I'd choose, they're both really good. But the SACD layer seals the deal for the MOFI for me, it's a must have. I'm glad to have both. . . and several other versions. Anyway, these sort of things are very subjective.

The system is really liking the Dutch Jazz Orchestra disc today. "Basin Street" was really good. I'm able to crank and no glare.

I still have not bought a SACD player. I thought I'd build a substantial library of audiophile hybrid SACDs first, but I think now I have enough of my favourite jazz albums on SACD to eventually invest in a good SACD player. And then there are the classical hybrid SACDs, of course.

Edited by erwbol

45 minutes ago, erwbol said:

I am glad this album introduced me to Paco DeLucia, but I really only care for albums the Spaniard made under his own name, like Fuente Y Caudal, Almoraima, Castro Marin (some McLaughlin on here), and Siroco.

I`m partial to hispanic music and would agree - still this platter (as new release) was part of my student days and especially track 1 aka "Mediterranean Sundance / Rio Ancho" raises sweet memories ....

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

I still have not bought a SACD player. I thought I'd build a substantial library of audiophile hybrid SACDs first, but I think now I have enough of my favourite jazz albums on SACD to eventually invest in a good SACD player. And then there are the classical hybrid SACDs, of course.

It would likely be a worthwhile investment imo. Well mastered SACDs can outshine the best Redbook. My SACD (and Redbook) listening took a leap forward when I bought my latest PS Audio transport as it handles SACD discs now . . . but I have several others as well and I would say as you have a nice library already it's worth a try. If there is a place you can try for a few days it would be a nice experiment.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

It would likely be a worthwhile investment imo. Well mastered SACDs can outshine the best Redbook. My SACD (and Redbook) listening took a leap forward when I bought my latest PS Audio transport as it handles SACD discs now . . . but I have several others as well and I would say as you have a nice library already it's worth a try. If there is a place you can try for a few days it would be a nice experiment.

Yes, that would be ideal, if I could try one at home for a few days. Come to think of it, my old region free DVD player had SACD capability, but I gave it to my parents years ago. That  unit was quite poor quality anyway, but my parents like it because it's the same colour as their television. ;)