• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

41NnSFw7AvL.jpg

Masada Live in Sevilla 2000. I'm feeling that Brexit vibe.

This really was a great reissue series. When I compare the Saxophone Colossus Prestige 7000 Chronicle SHM-CD to the CD-layer of the recent Kevin Gray APO hybrid SACD I cannot readily tell them apart on my system, unlike previous CD reissues of this album like the Japanese DSD remaster form 2008.  

Agreed - great sounding series which unfortunately was put on hold ....

avery_teodr_postmoder_101b.jpg

So....about 30 minutes worth of tenor-drum duets followed by about 13 minutes of "treatises", spoken explanations of the the whys, and especially the hows, of the music. The packaging doesn't have room for written liner notes, but the CD does, spoken liner noites. And these liner notes are really about the technical details of the music, modes and intervals and root movements.

I appreciate the seriousness and sincerity, but really....this has all been done before, and really, all talked about before. Seems like this much of a mind could be put to use for a more forward music. But oh well, I like the title and I like the cover, and good luck.

Valery PonomarevTrip To Moscow (Reservoir Music)
— With Valery Ponomarev (trumpet), Ralph Moore (tenor sax), Larry Willis (piano), Dennis Irwing (bass), Victor Jones (drums)

MI0002472802.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  MI0002488345.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

On this album, after living in America for 15 years, Ponomarev reflects back on Russia with six original tunes (plus one standard).

The Japanese SHM-CD of the A Love Supreme Complete Masters (SHM-CD).

Probably my favorite digital version of the suite. (Don't have the Platinum SHM-CD, or download files as I don't do those).

207_-76816050.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Series No.44 [(8/24/46) on Vol. 23 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)
— With Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, Francis Williams, Cat Andereson, Harold Baker (tp) Ray Nance (tp, vln, vo) Joe Nanton, Lawrence Brown, Claude Jones, Wilbur DeParis (tb) Jimmy Hamilton ( cl,ts) Russell Procope (cl,as) Johnny Hodges (as)  Al Sears (ts) Harry Carney (bs, cl, bcl) Duke Ellington (p) Fred Guy (g) Oscar Pettiford (b) Sonny Greer (dr)  Kay Davis, Al Hibbler, (vo).
 Opens with Ellington on solo piano on four numbers.
— Live ABC B'cast from Meadowbook Gardens Café , Culver City, CA.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Hurricane Broadcast [(8/26/43) on Vol. 23 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)
— With Taft Jordan, Wallace Jones, Harold Baker (tp) Ray Nance (tp,vln, vo), Joe  Nanton (vtb) Lawrence Brown (tb) Jimmy Hamilton (cl,ts) Johnny Hodges ss,as), Nat Jones (cl,as) Ben Webster (ts) Harry Carney (bs,cl,as) Duke Ellington (p), Fred Fred Guy (g) Junior Raglin (b) Sonny Greer (dr) Betty Roche (vo).
— Live WHN broadcast from Hurricane Restaurant, NYC.

51VEKLKNgbL.jpg

Got a package from jazzmessengers.com this morning with this CD.  (I noticed that amazon.com has dropped the price to 12.99.  Evidently, they were waiting until I ordered it from somewhere else.)

Edited by alankin