• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not long after it was issued, they performed at the 1990 JazzTimes Conference in New Orleans. That's where I got to meet both men and I've had a chance to hang with Bill Mays many times over the years. He even played at Hot House editor Paul Blair's memorial service in 2012. One To One Two is just as good.

47 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Not long after it was issued, they performed at the 1990 JazzTimes Conference in New Orleans. That's where I got to meet both men and I've had a chance to hang with Bill Mays many times over the years. He even played at Hot House editor Paul Blair's memorial service in 2012. One To One Two is just as good.

Oh man. I am JEALOUS that you've had the opportunity to meet & hang with so many cool musicians!!! ;) 

Re: the CD -- I'll keep my eyes open for Volume 2. :tup 

Just after Christmas 2015, Nancy and I made a trip to West Palm Beach, had dinner with he and his wife Judy on Saturday night at a great Italian place, then caught him at a Palm Beach hotel playing for brunch. What was odd is that most diners chose to sit out by the pool rather than inside and enjoy the music. Unfortunately that gig came to an end earlier this winter with a change in management.

John Stein & Dave Zinno   Wood and Strings  (Whaling City Sound). A new release, but there's no image up on their website.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:34 PM, uli said:

i am currently reading Paul Steinbeck's book on the art ensmble  "message to our folks" and am listenig to some lps cds and some stuff on the tube

right now the collab with Hartmut Geerken for the first tme.

house_MED.jpg

114699725.jpg

612ik-RlCYL.jpg

finally broke down and ordered the book. Really curious since I was never interviewed.

61NZGFLurPL._SS400.jpg

Bobby Avey - Inhuman Wilderness (innerVoiceJazz, 2016)
with Thomson Kneeland (b), Jordan Perlson (d), and John O'Gallagher (as, on tracks 2, 3, 6, 8)

Avey has released (I think) four CDs so far, and I've heard three of them.  This newest one is his best so far, imho. (And they've all been good.)  But this one is REALLY good. If pianists like Richie Beirach or Russ Lossing or Marc Copland (who's the executive producer on this record) appeal to you, you might want to look into Avey.

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

finally broke down and ordered the book. Really curious since I was never interviewed.

let us know what you think - and what he may have missed.

i am halfway thru and enjoy reading it. .for me It adds many details to the history of the band and  i think it's well written.

np

191794034477.jpg

before

112113091.jpg

Edited by uli

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yeah, I mentioned this a few weeks ago. "Nessa" only shows up two times.
I think both times as a simple reference to the label. Still like it as much as I
said last time here.