• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave McKennaAn Intimate Evening With Dave McKenna (Arbors Records) — solo piano; live at the Sarasota Opera House, Sarasota, FL

A1oVKO8iNeL._SX350_.jpg

Daniel Levin Trio – Fuhuffah (Clean Feed Records)
— Daniel Levin cello / Ingebrigt Haker Flaten bass / Gerald Cleaver drums

MI0002342011.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by alankin

47 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes I agree, and I've been listening to KOB more often as well. Some really nice sounding stereo and mono versions to listen to, and the music has never become stale.

I guess it is just hip to shit on KOB a bit, it being so accessible. Every record can grow stale due to overexposure, but true gems will always shine again after being left alone for a while.

Duke EllingtonIn Gröna Lund 1963 - CD 2 (Storyville Records)
— Cootie Williams, Eddie Preston, Rolf Ericson (tp); Ray Nance (tp, vln, vo); Lawrence Brown, Chuck Conners, Buster Cooper (tb); Jimmy Hamilton (ts, cl), Russell Procope (as, cl), Johnny Hodges (as); Paul Gonsalves (ts), Harry Carney (bs, cl, bcl); Duke Ellington (p), Ernie Shepard (b), Sam Woodyard (dr).

51qNf6D5wVL._SX425_.jpg

On 4/7/2017 at 10:54 PM, kinuta said:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0004/134/MI0004134934.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:tup:tup:tup!  Catherine Russell is such a great singer and she really brings these vintage songs to life.

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

d50d19763e.jpg

:tup:tup:tup!  One of Carmen McRae's best!  I wish I'd had the chance to hear her perform in person.

My recent listening:

R-4798028-1375841024-5244.jpeg.jpg

lk4141a_720x600.jpg

Both albums recorded in 1960.

R-7772993-1448468585-7201.jpeg.jpg

TETE-MONTOLIU-Solo-Piano__51z0vCS5hdL.jp

Includes the albums Yellow Dolphin Street and Catalonian Folksongs, both recorded in 1977.

MI0001820662.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002399464.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

41YXBZFFMYL.jpg

Listened to this again - this time at home, rather than in the car. Sounded much better at home - more of the sound and nuances of Carter's horn caught my ear - as to be expected.

A friend once gave me some advice about Benny Carter: Don't listen to him the same way you'd listen to Bird, expecting the same kind of invention. Obvious advice, but I needed to hear it. Even so, I have some problems listening to Benny Carter. At times, what I hear is a hip dance band sax player. At other times, I hear a Woody Allen soundtrack - which is ok, but not what I really want to hear. Then, as this afternoon at home, I hear a masterful jazz saxophonist.

I guess that Benny Carter is a lot of different guys for me. Or, perhaps, I'm a lot of different guys.