• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 75th Anniversary SHM-CD. I realize I have a lot of digital copies of Blue Train! The enhanced US cd. The Japanese RVG edition. The Classics Records DAD. The High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Audio. And they all sound good if a bit different. In my current system as it sits (well I guess my speakers stand!) The Blu-ray and this one sound really really good and will probably get the most play.

This used to be one of my LEAST favorite Coltrane albums. Over the decades I've liked it more and more and see why it is so "revered." Today it is sounding great as the first spin of the day.

TYCJ-81001.jpg

77IdFY5.jpg

Reaching a near-mythical status amongst fans of free jazz’s most worldly intrepid explorer, these seldom heard Paris soundtrack sessions known as Music, Wisdom, Love have evaded collectors’ grasps and confused historians for exactly 50 years. Instigated in Paris in 1967 and filmed during Don’s downtime on a visit to the Chat qui Pêche nightclub in March 1967 (where he played with Karl Berger, Henri Texier and Jacques Thollot), the bulk of this cinematic portrait was filmed on the streets of Paris under the direction of creative all-rounders Jean-Noël Delamarre and Nathalie Perrey, who, as their careers bloomed, would become pivotal figures in underground French cinema – straddling La Nouvelle Vague, adult entertainment and cinema fantastique in what can only be described as speedball cinema. As the supportive creative family that primarily played home to French vampire/horrortica director Jean Rollin, both Nathalie and Jean-Noël, his brother Jean-Philippe Delamarre and a small team of other fans of oblique media would be responsible for a vibrant micro-culture that awkwardly flourished on the outskirts on the Parisian new wave – combining comic book culture, Lettrism, sexual liberation, psychedelic rock, graphic design and (with this record as prime example) free jazz and avant-garde music. What previously might have been regarded as an unlikely coupling, with the benefit of half a century of archival hindsight, this release documents the essential cosmic collision of two fantastic planets.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

The 75th Anniversary SHM-CD. I realize I have a lot of digital copies of Blue Train! The enhanced US cd. The Japanese RVG edition. The Classics Records DAD. The High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray Audio. And they all sound good if a bit different. In my current system as it sits (well I guess my speakers stand!) The Blu-ray and this one sound really really good and will probably get the most play.

This used to be one of my LEAST favorite Coltrane albums. Over the decades I've liked it more and more and see why it is so "revered." Today it is sounding great as the first spin of the day.

TYCJ-81001.jpg

On an interview with Trane on the Miles/Trane Stockholm 1960 LPs, he says that Blue Trane is his favorite of all of the records he'd recorded under his own name up to that point in time.

Edited by paul secor

Yes, I remember hearing that when that set first came out and thinking "Wow, go figure." I can understand that choice more clearly now.

I snoozed on this one too long. Had I known that Gary Bartz played on one third of this I'd have bought it sooner!

Really nice, with Charles Ables (Horn's longtime bassist) playing some very nice guitar on some of these tunes.

51Akb1OiXhL.jpg

Stan Getz Quartet – Opus De Bop (Savoy MG 12114 / Nippon Columbia Japan)
— Stan Getz (tenor sax) Hank Jones (piano) Curly Russell (bass) Max Roach (drums)

Sonny Stitt / Kenny DorhamThe Be Bop Boys [on Opus De Bop
— Kenny Dorham, trumpet; Sonny Stitt, alto sax; Bud Powell, piano; Al Hall, bass; Wallace Bishop, drums.

Fats Navarro and his Thin Men – Opus De Bop 
— Fats Navarro, trumpet; Leo Parker, baritone sax; Tadd Dameron, piano; Gene Ramey, bass; Denzil Best, drums.

71u5GGqsozL._SX375_.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing enough 1940's Savoy sessions to make the Mosaic set worth while.

Edited by alankin

Cecil TaylorUnit Structures (Blue Note)
— With Eddie Gale – trumpet; Jimmy Lyons – alto sax; Ken McIntyre – alto sax, oboe, bass clarinet; Cecil Taylor – piano, bells; Henry Grimes – bass; Alan Silva – bass; Andrew Cyrille – drums; includes alternate take

51oklITkh8L.jpg

1176242406_850215_0000000000_sumario_nor

louis armstrong
    kansas city    3-23-57    
    'from his archive of tape recordings' bbc doc. with l.a. talk    1998    
    interview, chicago    6-24-62    
    bbc desert island discs      1968    

41El9QsehgL.jpg

1963 tokyo

1 hour ago, alankin said:

Cecil TaylorUnit Structures (Blue Note)
— With Eddie Gale – trumpet; Jimmy Lyons – alto sax; Ken McIntyre – alto sax, oboe, bass clarinet; Cecil Taylor – piano, bells; Henry Grimes – bass; Alan Silva – bass; Andrew Cyrille – drums; includes alternate take

51oklITkh8L.jpg

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup !!!!! Cecil !!!!!

Edited by paul secor