• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51spNtCxKcL._SX425_.jpg 

Antônio Carlos Jobim - The Composer Of Desafinado, Plays

I apparently didn't make that much of an effort, but i've always wanted to get the Antônio Carlos Jobim album with the version of Insensatez that was used on David Lynch's Lost Highway soundtrack. Finally i have it. Maybe it's partly the familiarity from listening to it for 20 years, but i think it's a perfect piece of music. 

Z98vrHl.jpg

Yvette Holzwarth - Violin (track 2) 
Conor Malloy - Drums - (track 6) 
Parker Law - Drums 
Timothy Dries - Vibraphone, Xylophone 
Matt Orenstein - Upright Bass 
Philippe Pierlot - Viola da Gamba 
Tristan de Liège - Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Harp, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet 

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

:tdown

Do understand your rating still - to throw in some positive perspective - the cover pic reminds me of the times when this platter was a new release, some excellent "neo-traditionalist" sessions were issued and even some expectations regarding the future of Wynton M. were feasible ....

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Do understand your rating still - to throw in some positive perspective - the cover pic reminds me of the times when this platter was a new release, some excellent "neo-traditionalist" sessions were issued and even some expectations regarding the future of Wynton M. were feasible ....

He was 19! I also bought this LP when it was released in 1982 ---

Edited by optatio

1 hour ago, optatio said:

He was 19! I also bought this LP when it was released in 1982 ---

Selfimposed excessive expectations btw self-adulations aside albums with the Herbie Hancock Quartet or "Black Codes From The Underground" were (IMO) quite hearworthy ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Like Optatio said - this was young Wynton. A far cry from JALC bigwigdom.

I guess most evaluations of this kind of record made today are based on what people tend to project into him TODAY (and do not like about him TODAY), maybe as another variation on the theme of "oh that self-proclaimed moldy fig has reaped all the rewards and occupies all the key positions where he can pull all the strings whereas oh so many oh so deserving (avantgarde etc.) musicians barely eke out a living in jazz though THEY ought to receive all the honors because they are much more valuable artists". Understandable sentiments but beside the point ... Making your art appeal is part of the game too.

Reminds me somehow of quite a few of those 50s/60s/70s musicians who rode the "swing mainstream train" even as new artists on the scene and did not embrace all the latest fads in far-outness (and therefore came under heavy fire from the critics in many places - a bit unfairly IMO).

Edited by Big Beat Steve