Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Is it cruel to say that I would love this session more if it weren't Ray Draper's and just a quartet with Coltrane?

Great rhythm section behind the horns. Listening to this via the Coltrane "Side Steps" box set.

The_Ray_Draper_Quintet_featuring_John_Co

Perhaps not cruel, just an honest response. I'm not familiar with that one, but having heard Draper in a couple of other contexts, I can understand your feelings.

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

41DBfrm5gLL.jpg

Mark Shim - Turbulent Flow

Why doesn't Shim record as a leader anymore? 

I wonder, too. Caught him live at the Jazz Gallery some ten years ago with a Mark  Helias group that included Herb Robertson, Craig Taborn, and IIRC Eric Harland, and Shim and everyone sounded terrific.
Also, a perfect NYC-attitude experience  --  I was at the Jazz Gallery a few years ago and mentioned to the ticket taker at the door how mesmorable that Helias group performance was and how good Shim had sounded. He said with great certainty that Shim had never played at the Jazz Gallery. When I told him that I had in fact heard Shim there, he said, and not at all in a nice way (if such be possible), "You're lying." Too bad I really wanted to see the band I'd bought a ticket for that night; otherwise I would have torn it up and thrown the pieces in his face.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

I wonder, too. Caught him live at the Jazz Gallery some ten years ago with a Mark  Helias group that included Herb Robertson, Craig Taborn, and IIRC Eric Harland, and Shim and everyone sounded terrific.
Also, a perfect NYC-attitude experience  --  I was at the Jazz Gallery a few years ago and mentioned to the ticket taker at the door how mesmorable that Helias group performance was and how good Shim had sounded. He said with great certainty that Shim had never played at the Jazz Gallery. When I told him that I had in fact heard Shim there, he said, and not at all in a nice way (if such be possible), "You're lying." Too bad I really wanted to see the band I'd bought a ticket for that night; otherwise I would have torn it up and thrown the pieces in his face.

Wow. "You're lying"? Not even - You may be mistaken, or I don't think so? Sounds like a total a-hole.

Edited by paul secor

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

sorry Larry, I think you are lying about this whole thing. A New Yorker rude? Especially a hip music guy?  (sounds like a scene out of High Fidelity; I am surprised they even let you into the Jazz Gallery).

Edited by AllenLowe

Holy cow! The new three hybrid-SACD reissue of Santana's "Lotus" arrived from Japan. To call this a "deluxe reissue" is to damn it with very faint praise. Oversized. Incredible printing, card stock quality, etc. Lots to read. .. if you can read Japanese!

Sound is exceptional.

61ub3C6aCSL.jpg

santana-lotus-cover-up.JPG

1-Santana-Lotus-Complete-Edition.jpg