Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

Wow. "You're lying"? Not even - You may be mistaken, or I don't think so? Sounds like a total a-hole.

Maybe he was thinking "Not in my time" (that gig took place maybe eight years earlier) or maybe he was just sick of people thinking that they could address him because he was standing there and letting people in. 

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

sorry Larry, I think you are lying about this whole thing. A New Yorker rude? Especially a hip music guy?  (sounds like a scene out of High Fidelity; I am surprised they even let you into the Jazz Gallery).

Fortunately, the performance he was taking tickets for that night -- a band led by bassist-composer Alex Cuadrado -- turned out to be excellent. 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Holy cow! The new three hybrid-SACD reissue of Santana's "Lotus" arrived from Japan. To call this a "deluxe reissue" is to damn it with very faint praise. Oversized. Incredible printing, card stock quality, etc. Lots to read. .. if you can read Japanese!

Sound is exceptional.

61ub3C6aCSL.jpg

santana-lotus-cover-up.JPG

1-Santana-Lotus-Complete-Edition.jpg

Wow! The Japanese sure know how to make collectors happy. Enjoy, Lon!

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

Wow! The Japanese sure know how to make collectors happy. Enjoy, Lon!

Will do. I actually don't care what the packaging is, I've been a fan of this album since it was first released--was one of the first import splurges I made for music--and they have added an LP's worth of previously unreleased material, and the SACD sound is exceptional. . . . That's why I bought it, and will be able to give as a gift to a friend the original two cd set from the US and even the two SACD set from Audio Fidelity. It was another expensive splurge, but I'm glad to have it for an important musical milestone for me. 

This decade the Japanese have been releasing very good sounding (to me, on my system) releases and their releases have been the most interesting for me in many cases. Even if the reissue originated in the US I have been buying the Japanese version. I probably can't keep doing that forever financially, but the time to stop is not quite yet. . . . 

55 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Will do. I actually don't care what the packaging is, I've been a fan of this album since it was first released--was one of the first import splurges I made for music--and they have added an LP's worth of previously unreleased material, and the SACD sound is exceptional. . . . That's why I bought it, and will be able to give as a gift to a friend the original two cd set from the US and even the two SACD set from Audio Fidelity. It was another expensive splurge, but I'm glad to have it for an important musical milestone for me. 

This decade the Japanese have been releasing very good sounding (to me, on my system) releases and their releases have been the most interesting for me in many cases. Even if the reissue originated in the US I have been buying the Japanese version. I probably can't keep doing that forever financially, but the time to stop is not quite yet. . . . 

I'm listening to Lotus on YouTube now, but this is the best Santana I ever heard. I guess I just sampled the wrong (for me) albums in the past. Great stuff!

22 hours ago, mikeweil said:

51LUHsga-uL.jpg717UNdSgdvL._SL1050_.jpg

Now I'm paying attention to the sessions with Les Spann, Junior Mance, Sam Jones, and Lex Humphries. I like them as there is a good balance between Gillespie's entertainer side and the musical side - while the Mosaic small group box set was available I just couldn't make up my mind to get it, as the sessions I knew were not that attractive to me. Too much emphasis on showmanship, which may have been preferred by Norman Granz. But this group is just my cup of tea, Fantastic rhythm section, nice arrangements, Dizzy's virtuosity and personality put into focus in a musically perfect fashion. I espcially like how well he and Spann phrased together. Spann has always been one of my favourites - this just confirms it. 

Got this double CD for five bucks plus shippping  - a new copy, that is. A bargain, for sure.