• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

149705.jpg

149705_1.jpg

An enjoyable disc for a die-hard Brubeck fan like me.  The audio quality, while not of professional studio recording level, is pretty good for an unauthorized "live".recording from 1955.  The liner notes state that both this and Erroll Garner's classic performance at the Sunset Center that year were part of a series of jazz concerts presented there.  I wonder if there are any other recordings by artists of interest from that series yet to be uncovered.

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

Dick Contino (1930 - 2017)

vkPTMHd.jpg

Wow!  Two albums in a row on this thread which contain a version of "Hava Nagila"!  That must be a first! :D

81SEL3IOv-L._SL1421_.jpg

711fYoQpNcL._SL1246_.jpg

The live album is pretty exciting stuff at times.  One can almost visualize what the band must have looked like on stage doing these songs.  The center spread of the liner note booklet features a picture of Mr. Prado standing in front of a band.  I'm not sure if it is the band heard on the Japanes tour album, but they are wearing happi coats and Japanese headbands.  The band has a  four piece percussion section (and the percussionists heard on the Japan album are cracking good), what appears to be both acoustic and electric bass players, four trumpets, four saxes and only one trombone.

Edited by duaneiac