• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duke EllingtonIn Gröna Lund 1963 - CD 2 (Storyville Records)
— Cootie Williams, Eddie Preston, Rolf Ericson (tp); Ray Nance (tp, vln, vo); Lawrence Brown, Chuck Conners, Buster Cooper (tb); Jimmy Hamilton (ts, cl), Russell Procope (as, cl), Johnny Hodges (as); Paul Gonsalves (ts), Harry Carney (bs, cl, bcl); Duke Ellington (p), Ernie Shepard (b), Sam Woodyard (dr)

51qNf6D5wVL._SX425_.jpg

Still listening to the audiobook of Harry Belafonte's autobiography.  I'm up to the point where he made his debut as a singer in 1949.  He'd had one role as an actor which required him to sing while studying at the Dramatic Workshop of The New School (alongside such classmates as Marlon Brando, Rod Steiger, Tony Curtis, Walter Matthau, Bea Arthur, Elaine Stritch and Wally Cox) and Monte Kay, the guy in charge of booking acts at the Royal Roost at the time, had liked what he heard and later, when Mr. Belafonte needed a better paying job to help provide for his new wife and soon to come child, offered him a job as intermission singer at the club.  Mr. Belafonte states that when he debuted at the Royal Roost, Pee Wee Marquette introduced him as "Harry Bellabooduh"  (Did Mr. Marquette really work at the Royal Roost or is Mr. Belafonte's memory a bit off here?)  That first night he was supposed to be accompanied by pianist Al Haig, but as he took the stage and prepared to sing, first Tommy Potter, then Max Roach and then Charlie Parker also took the stage to accompany him.  Not a bad band for one's first singing gig!

Now listening to:

the-warm-singing-style-of-jeri-southern-

Disc 4 of 5

There are only two recorded examples of Holdsworth soloing on 12-string acoustic: 
one is the 1 minute "Gone Sailing" from Soft Machine's Bundles and the other is from 4 years later on "Jools Toon" 
which I couldn't find on YouTube, so I uploaded it. It's from that era when he did those great albums 
with more adventurous and perceptive musicians like John Stevens, Gordon Beck, a.o.

51mrl2aplVL._SX355_.jpg

Disc 2 of 2.

The Stan Kenton band made its first appearance at Birdland beginning on this date in 1953.  Portions of that weeklong gig were recorded for broadcast  later on the "NBC All Star Parade of Bands" program.  Disc 2 of this set contains the broadcasts from June 20th & 27th of 1953.  Band members included Lee Konitz, Richie Kamuca, Bill Holman, Frank Rosolino, Bobby Burgess, Conte Candoli, Ernie Royal and Sal Salvador.

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

My favourite Bud Powell on Blue Note ....

I can't say that I have a favorite Bud on BN. Different sessions appeal to me depending on my mood. I've always felt that, on many of his recordings, Bud put his emotions out front for anyone to hear.  Sometimes I feel like I'm intruding when I listen.

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

a603d744c0.jpg

GREAT music!

Live from New York on Sunday April 23, 1961 it's - - -

carnegie_lp_big.jpg

Disc 1 & 2.  It's probably not a recording of interest to most folks here, but this record really is very successful at capturing the essence of a performer in a "live" concert (plus it as a big seller for years back in the day -- I'm not sure if it has ever been out of print).

Latest spins:

Ben Webster - King Of The Tenor (Verve, 1957)

R-3219247-1329258897.jpeg.jpg

Bennie Wallace - Plays Monk (Enja, 1981)

R-2737892-1298828581.jpeg.jpg

Cedar Walton - Composer (Astor Place, 1996)

R-2940370-1308302438.jpeg.jpg

Coleman Hawkins - The High And Mighty Hawk (Felsted/MJR, 1958)

R-2764629-1485259946-6274.jpeg.jpg

Dinah Washington - In Love (Roulette, 1962)

R-2672251-1354270025-2076.jpeg.jpg