So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

12 hours ago, soulpope said:

The rhythm section is classy, especially George Mráz - who on other recordings fails to touch my heart - is a revelation ....

I'm a bit surprised that Mraz doesn't normally appeal to you. He's easily one of my very favorite bassists.

Then again, isn't it interesting how we all hear things differently???  Even those of us with enormous "overlaps" in musical tastes.

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51E0TaJsicL._SS400.jpg

Earl Hines in New Orleans (Chiaroscuro)
I continue to be KNOCKED OUT by Hines' late-career solo piano recordings. So much invention married with so much feeling!  The more I listen, the more I admire them. Thank goodness Hines recorded prolifically after his comeback -- because these recordings constitute a treasure trove! 

Edited by HutchFan

Michael Moore / Available JellyBilbao Song (Ramboy)
— Michael Moore, alto saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet; Tobias Delius, tenor saxophone, clarinet; Eric Boeren, cornet; Wolter Wierbos, trombone; Ernst Glerum, bass; Michael Vatcher, percussion

R-2961159-1309279823.jpeg.jpg

Edited by alankin

Keefe Jackson - Ready Everyday

51Vz8-PDfXL._SS500.jpg

I love this quote from John Litweiler regarding Aram Shelton and Keefe Jackson:  “Like Shelton, Keefe Jackson is a virtual model of saxophonists who compose as they improvise. These are important, no-bullshit artists who recall Prez’s rule that a solo should tell a story.”

Driving home from the post office, listening to classical music on WBLV. Someone singing Puccini's Nessun Dorma and I knew what I had to do when I got home. First I dug out a Jussi Bjorling recording and followed it with Lester Bowie's version. By the time I was done, tears were streaming for a whole bunch of reasons.

41PA20AVNFL.jpg
Edited by Chuck Nessa