Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BillyBatts said:

I would have LOVED to have been there and to have SEEN these guys play together..... but then I say that with most classic Jazz albums I play.  I envy my parents.  My father was into Jazz when it was popular and live performances were hot.  He and my mother went to many live performances of the great ones.

At 77 and having listened to jazz since 1957 I'm probably of your father's generation and may have had similar experiences. On the albums I listen to - they range from Jack Teagarden to Eric Alexander - I've usually heard at least one of the artists in person. For example, on your Blue Note 1540 album I've seen Mobley, Morgan and Silver, but not Byrd, Chambers and Persip. And all this on this side of the Atlantic!

8 hours ago, BillyBatts said:

Idrees Sulieman Quartet - 4 American Jazz Men Tangier

61cFwZ6iErL._SS500.jpg

Just got it, very good -- some of the best Sulieman there is (love the way he play on "Confirmation"), Denard is intriguing, and Jamil Nasser hadn't yet begun to use the IMO nasty pickup he came to use in later years. Though the sound quality on the NY party disc takes some getting used to, I did.

9 hours ago, BillF said:

At 77 and having listened to jazz since 1957 I'm probably of your father's generation and may have had similar experiences. On the albums I listen to - they range from Jack Teagarden to Eric Alexander - I've usually heard at least one of the artists in person. For example, on your Blue Note 1540 album I've seen Mobley, Morgan and Silver, but not Byrd, Chambers and Persip. And all this on this side of the Atlantic!

I think my father had about 15 years on you, but you were close.  His era was WWII through the mid 60's with Jazz.  He was a Purple Heart Navy Man in WWII, so a brave dude in my humble opinion.  He came out of the war loving Big Band Jazz and continued through to the 50's Trio and Quartet stars of Jazz and then on into the 60's era artists.  He didn't move on from that.  All of his collection spans the late 30's to the early 60's, mostly 45s.  I inherited his vast collection and my goal is, probably when I retire, to convert all of his 45s to digital.  That will be a huge task, but it will be worth while.

---------------------------------------------------------

23 hours ago, duaneiac said:

MI0003511420.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Love this album and Joni in general.  

I heard a funny comment about Joni by John Pizzarelli on his radio show "Radio Deluxe" (available on Mixcloud).  He played one of her golden cuts from the Madison Square Garden concert and after he played it, he said something like, "Ya' know, the Canadians hold the Trump card with Joni.  We can play anything we want, and they just play some Joni Mitchell and say "How aBoot That?" :)  

----------------------------------------------------------------

Night cap gents.  Then I'm turning in.

On Criss Cross;

Orrin Evans - Captain Black

51y7Hk5TOxL._SS500.jpg

Edited by BillyBatts

1 hour ago, BillyBatts said:

Love this album and Joni in general.  

I heard a funny comment about Joni by John Pizzarelli on his radio show "Radio Deluxe" (available on Mixcloud).  He played one of her golden cuts from the Madison Square Garden concert and after he played it, he said something like, "Ya' know, the Canadians hold the Trump card with Joni.  We can play anything we want, and they just play some Joni Mitchell and say "How aBoot That?" :)  

---------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of nights ago, I watched this documentray and it inspired me to listen to some of her music again.

9306.jpg

It's a well done look at her life, including interviews with her, Graham Nash, Larry Klein, David Crosby and others.  If the Nobel committee is still interested in honoring songwriters for their literary contributions, I would recommend they give Ms. Mitchell's body of work their undivided attention.  I hope she is doing well now given her current circumstances.

Wadada Leo Smith ---Procession of Great Ancestry---(Nessa)

cd-Nessa-ncd-26.jpg

Earlier - Smith's - America's National Parks--(Cunieform) I was staggered/annoyed  to see this review at Amazon "It may be the worst CD I have EVER bought-  amateurish, unlistenable- elementary school kids make better sounding music while practicing". I probably shouldn't be giving the writer any extra notoriety given how disrespectful the comments are.