• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

:tup  A longtime favorite

Kamuca sure does make a beautiful sound on the tenor.

Now I'm spinning another Kamuca LP from around the same time:

R-3485899-1332264492.jpeg.jpg

Richie Kamuca Quartet - Richie (Concord)
Another special record.

EDIT:
Just now listening to Kamuca's playing on "Some Other Spring" . . . Phew. Amazing.

Edited by HutchFan

MI0000779383.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000779384.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Recorded on this date (and just up the road a piece from me) in 1955.  The sound is very good for a "live" recording of that era; no credit is given, but I would assume it is a Wally Heider recording.  The sax section of this version of the band was outstanding -- Lennie Niehaus, Charlie Mariano, Bill Perkins and Dave Van Kriedt.  It must have been a dance date, but the band did play a couple of jazz numbers.  I doubt if there were many dancers on the floor for "Malaguena".

004MC-4.jpg

This is the second entry in this series I have bought.  The first one included a piano trio CD led by George Cables.  This one has a CD by the Danny Caron Band with (and this is the main reason I bought this) Special Guest Charles Brown.  Mr. Caron was the guitarist /musical director in Mr. Brown's group during his late in life comeback.  Mr. Brown only appears on on 2 of the 11 tracks on the CD, "With The Wind And The Rain In Your Hair" and "I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone".  Both those tracks are wonderful not just due to Mr. Brown's distinctive vocals, but also for his wonderful piano work.  I think he was greatly undervalued as a pianist.  His style is instantly recognizable and always brings a smile to my face.

Hank Mobley and His All Stars via the Mobley Mosaic box

51420AWEBVL._SX425_.jpg

On a bit of Milt Jackson kick at the moment. Was browsing his wikipedia page and noticed this album listed in the discography section. It's been a while since i've listened to the Mobley box and i wasn't particularly conscious of there being some Bags on there. Was probably a little bit too overjoyed to look it up and find that it was included in the box; listening now and loving it. I love it when something like that happens.

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Ah, thanks. But not involving the two of them together?

Two different bands, two different sessions, no overlapping of personnel. 

Right now:

SACD 2
$_58.JPG

And yes, it's loud.

Edited by jazzbo