Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51lI1qxmKRL._SY355_.jpg

This package has a CD & DVD of the same concert, recorded on May 14, 1990 at Lone Star Roadhouse in NYC.  It was recorded in an HD format for broadcast in Japan, but that particular HD format was never adopted in the US.  Fortunately the performance was transferred and preserved in digital formats which are accessible to US consumers.  I listened to the CD.  It's a typical setlist, including his big hits.  The only thing different is that Clifford Solomon was not yet part of his band at that time, so it is just the quartet of Mr. Brown, Danny Caron, Earl May and Keith Copeland.  The package also includes a terrific booklet with a well written 40+ page bio of Charles Brown written by Chip Deffaa with lots of photos.  (There wwas also a performance by Ruth Brown recorded that same night and place, but I don't know if it has ever been released.  I'd love to have that too.)

20 hours ago, soulpope said:

258e72025d.jpg

A great CD and one of my earliest jazz purchases and my first exposure to Duke and/or Rabbit

NP 

AEC - Jackson in your house - (Affinity) 

My first exposure to AEC. In 1987 as I delved into jazz I was fascinated by an entry in Barry Macrae's Jazz Handbook. It had this intriguing picture (below) along with recommending amongst other things "People in Sorrow" (nessa). Being pre internet days I had to make do with what I could find and that was this Affinity CD - complete with bootleg like cover.  Well, despite the poor sound and lacklustre presentation AEC had my attention and still do !

s-l225.jpg