• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Morganized said:

51rQB0zdalL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

I think that's a great record -- and atypically lyrical since Martino usually likes to burn.

Recently, I had a chance to see him live and I brought that very LP for him to sign.  When I handed it to him, he looked at me and said, "Ah, I see that you're a romanticist."  I just laughed and said, "I guess so... but I love ALL of your music."  I only spent a few minutes with Martino, but he seemed like a genuinely kind, friendly person. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I think that's a great record -- and atypically lyrical since Martino usually likes to burn.

Recently, I had a chance to see him live and I brought that very LP for him to sign.  When I handed it to him, he looked at me and said, "Ah, I see that you're a romanticist."  I just laughed and said, "I guess so... but I love ALL of your music."  I only spent a few minutes with Martino, but he seemed like a genuinely kind, friendly person. 

Are you aware of the sequel?  Released in Japan 2013:

71X5VISQ0vL.jpg

Spontaneous Music EnsembleFace to Face (1973) (Emanem)
— With John Stevens (percussion, cornet & voice) & Trevor Watts (percussion)

MI0001874989.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Thelonious MonkBrilliant Corners [CD 2b from the Complete Riverside Recordings – sessions 5-7] (Riverside RLP 12-226)
— Thelonious Monk – piano; Ernie Henry (alto sax) or Clark Terry (trumpet); Sonny Rollins (tenor sax); Oscar Pettiford or Paul Chambers – bass; Art Blakey – drums

519wCicNKbL._SX466_.jpg  MI0002057774.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

51rQB0zdalL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Interesting! I really enjoyed this one. Somewhat surprised because I am not a fan of electric piano. For some reason in this setting it worked beautifully IMHO. Very understated and a beautiful synergy with Martino's playing.

Thanks for your input Hutch!!

Edited by Morganized
add picture

I'm actually listening to this album via the differently sequenced material on the Mosaic set, disc 6.

I've let this set sit on a shelf a long time, time to revisit it. Not a big Billy May fan, and I enjoy little doses of Anita, not disc after disc. I may listen to this over the coming week one disc or part of a disc at a time. 

Absence hasn't exactly made the heart fonder of this material, but it is a nice change of pace from what I've been listening to the last week and the mastering (by Malcolm Addey) is quite good.

MI0001540448.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by jazzbo

Robert Walter's 20th Congress – Money Shot (Fog City Records)
—  Robert Walter - Hammond Organ, piano, Wurlitzer electric piano, Fender Rhodes, Fender Rhodes piano bass, WLM electric organ; Cochema Juan Gastelum - alto saxophone, electric saxophone, flute, tambourine; Stanton Moore - drums, tambourine; David Carano - electric bass, guitar; Chuck Prada - congas, percussion; Elgin Park - electric guitar on "The Yodel" and "Shemp Time;" George Sluppick - percussion on "Blues for Y2K"

41VVFH5RFVL.jpg

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Cool !

His signatures are a real work of art too. Not to be missed !

4907673.jpg