• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank Rosolino on Bethlehem, Solid Records cd reissue from Japan.

af67dc63f3c3423668d293915582b3e6.jpg

Recorded in May 1956 in Hollywood, California
Bass – Wilfred Middlebrooks
Drums – Stan Levey
Piano – Sonny Clark
Trombone – Frank Rosolino

Some of my favorite piano work by Lou Levy.

And of course some dynamic Ella who is really "on." This trio is perfectly capable of supporting her and keeping up!

EllaatMisterKellys.jpg

This is the two cd edition, from the recordings in August, '58.

Ella Fitzgerald - vocals
Lou Levy - piano
Max Bennett - double bass
Gus Johnson - drums

Still getting to know this recently-acquired LP:

R-1951150-1372950693-1116.jpeg.jpg

Bill Hardman - Home (Muse)
with Junior Cook (ts); Slide Hampton (tb); Mickey Tucker (p); Chin Suzuki (b); Victor Jones (d); Lawrence Killian (perc)
Recorded 1978

EDIT:
I just listened to this all the way through twice. It's an excellent record. It's nothing terribly ambitious, but the music is solid through and through. Someone here on the forum recommended this LP. Can't remember who it was, but whoever you are, "THANKS!" :tup

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Mahler9_Horenstein_BBC.jpg

Symphony 9

Paul, I don't have that version of Horenstein conducting Mahler's Ninth.  But I do have Horenstein's version of the M9 on Vox.  I think it's one most intense renditions I've heard.  What do you think of this BBC Legends version?

NP:

GilGoldstein_PureasRain.png

Gil Goldstein - Pure as Rain (Chiaroscuro)
Recorded 1977

On 5/22/2017 at 9:03 AM, alankin said:

How did you like this session?

The sound quality of this series is better than I expected and the playing, for me, is top-notch.
Nothing surprisingly out-of-the-ordinary - pretty straight ahead, if that's your mood.

Here's a look at the back cover showing tunes, times, and players:

K198oHs.jpg

AhoMOB0.jpg

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Paul, I don't have that version of Horenstein conducting Mahler's Ninth.  But I do have Horenstein's version of the M9 on Vox.  I think it's one most intense renditions I've heard.  What do you think of this BBC Legends version?

It has the flow and the depth (yet with a graceful lightness) that I find in the best of Jascha Horenstein's recordings. I love the last movement. I actually don't have a Mahler 9th by another conductor to compare it to, but I don't feel the need for that.

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The Solid Records cd reissue of this Bethlehem title.

Short and sweet. Mrs. Sharon is okay as a singer. Mr. Sharon is a great pianist, and this has Eddie Costa on vibes, J.R. Monterose on tenor, Joe Puma on guitar, Milt Hinton on bass and Jo Jones on drums!

sue---ralph-sharon---mr---mrs-jazz.jpg

Off topic, but man do I miss the "old days" of Sunday comics.  Look at that -- a whole page just for "Popeye"!  The front page of my local paper's Sunday comics section has 5 different strips squeezed onto it.  It's no wonder most cartoonists can't draw worth squat these days -- the strips aren't printed large enough for readers to appreciate quality artwork.  I'm glad I came along in time to catch the waning days of "Pogo". "Li'l Abner" "Gasoline Alley" "Dick Tracy" "Steve Canyon" and "Prince Valiant".