• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hall.jpg

Got this as kind of a "what the hell" from the recent Mosaic Quasi-Liquidation Sale, and am finding it very satisfying. Nobody's phoning it in, not even a little.

Fine, fine, fine!

I've always enjoyed the "sound" of this one too. Record sounds this way as well.

Also got this Mighty Quinn issue at the same time as the Hall. Listened to it about 5X today, wasn't really "pulled in" at first, but Rex Stewart wasn't taking "ehhh..." for an answer, and before you knew it, everybody had come in the house and made themselves to home (led, per usual, by Bud Freeman, who for all his tweed jackets, sounds like a guy who's had his drawers down quite a few times even with the jacket on, winkwinknudgenudge #theeelinessofyou). Don't know how much CondonMusic I really want relative to how much all of it there is, that's just me, but I'm not regretting this purchase at all.

117252.jpg

Kinda prefer to WP cover, though:

1328.jpg

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Also got this Mighty Quinn issue at the same time as the Hall. Listened to it about 5X today, wasn't really "pulled in" at first, but Rex Stewart wasn't taking "ehhh..." for an answer, and before you knew it, everybody had come in the house and made themselves to home (led, per usual, by Bud Freeman, who for all his tweed jackets, sounds like a guy who's had his drawers down quite a few times even with the jacket on, winkwinknudgenudge #theeelinessofyou). Don't know how much CondonMusic I really want relative to how much all of it there is, that's just me, but I'm not regretting this purchase at all.

117252.jpg

1328.jpg

This post made me think of some of my interactions with Bud Freeman and prompted me to post this on Facebook: 

I am certain my kids will remember musicians from the studio, or coming around the apartment. I'm pretty certain they remember Roscoe, Wadada, Von, Hal, Fred, Eddie, Wilbur, etc. 
I wonder about their memories of Bud Freeman. I invited Bud to return to Chicago for the Jazz Fest and he decided to stay. We had dinner at our place a few times and went to a couple of Bears games. He was "uncle Bud" at the time. I treasure those memories and many more.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

117252.jpg

1328.jpg

FWIW, my reaction was exactly the same as yours, Jim. At first, I thought - OK, but after about 3 or 4 listens, my opinion of it went up considerably. Really good stuff. Got to say - Rex Stewart was taking no prisoners that day.  He was great with Duke but then kind of lost his place when Cootie came on. But he is on fire here.  Cutty Cutshall, too. They all sound good.  Funny comment about Bud Freeman, BTW. I met him once at at a WGJB concert when I was a teenager and he was very kind. 

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Maybe the most modal piano trio album ever, but none the worse for that. Friedman was a special soul.

No arguments about Friedman, but I'd ask for consideration of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs for inclusion in The Most Modal Piano Trio Album Ever Hall Of Fame.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

No arguments about Friedman, but I'd ask for consideration of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs for inclusion in The Most Modal Piano Trio Album Ever Hall Of Fame.

I'll have to listen again to "Sings, Sobs," but I'll be surprised if "Circle Waltz" doesn't remain in first place.

61D3pj-hRqL._SS400.jpg

Abdullah Ibrahim - Banyana: Children of Africa (Enja)

What a magical record! I have loved this music for years. But right at this moment, as I sit in the airport in Istanbul on my journey from one side of the globe to the other, already exhausted and loopy from travel, the music seems even GREATER -- hallucinatory, transcendent, like earth shifting beneath my feet. What a trip!!! (And I'm not talking about airplanes or pharmaceuticals.) Ibrahim, McBee & Brooks are carrying me away on a magic carpet ride, friends!!!! Whoooeeeee.

Edited by HutchFan