Posted Images

MI0003139350.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I'm a woman, I know my stuff
I'm a woman, I ain't never had enough
I'm going down yonder, behind the sun
I'm gonna do something for you, that ain't never been done
I'm gonna hold back the lightning, with the palm of my hand
Shake hands with the devil, make him crawl in the sand

As a tie-dyed-in-the-wool Deadhead it shakes me to the core to confess that, in a house fire, I'd grab my nascent electric blues collection before even considering 5/9, 2/14, 5/15, or anything Spring 72 (though I'll risk 3rd degree burns to grab the '69 Fillmore West material).  Why the hell doesn't anyone talk about this stuff?  Oh yeah, on order from Amazon...

Jr.K:  Sad Days; God Knows; Most Things; Better Run....Junior is like the VU & Meat Puppets:  never heard anything like 'em (I like the critical description of "surreal and otherworldly")

Hound Dog:  Boogie, Genuine, Beware

Anyone else anticipating, or already received, the first release of Bear's Sonic Journals, the Doc & Merle Watson box?  Should arrive here tomorrow!  WOOT!

Edited by Kate

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Rex Stewart - Rendezvous With Rex (Felsted, 1958)

R-2938783-1310665295.jpeg.jpg

from the Complete Felsted Mainstream Collection on Solar Records.

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Dicky Wells - Bones For The King (Felsted, 1958)

R-6756164-1456869388-2938.jpeg.jpg

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Dicky Wells - Trombone Four-In-Hand (Felsted, 1959)

R-5026329-1382481945-1802.png.jpg

:tup:tup:tup

71KgXxlATAL._SX425_.jpg

Abdullah Ibrahim Orchestra - African Space Program (Enja)
Adbullah Ibrahim [Dollar Brand] (p); Carlos Ward (as, fl); Sonny Fortune (as, fl); John Stubblefield (ts); Roland Alexander (ts, harmonium); Hamiet Bluiett (bs); Cecil Bridgewater (tr); Charles Sullivan (tr); Enrico Rava (tr); Kiane Zawadi (tb); Cecil McBee (b); Roy Brooks (d, perc) / Recorded 1973

Brilliant!!!  (I only wish the quality of the recorded sound were better.)

The original LP cover is more evocative than the reissue:

R-3025037-1359533009-1293.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

SantanaMoonflower (Columbia/Legacy)

8102Bwtj9XL._SX450_.jpg

Personnel:
Greg Walker – vocals; Carlos Santana – guitar, vocals, percussion; Tom Coster – keyboards; Pablo Tellez – bass, vocals (live tracks); David Margen – bass (studio tracks); Graham Lear – drums; Raul Rekow – percussion; José "Chepito" Areas – percussion (live tracks); Pete Escovedo – percussion (studio tracks).

A mixture of live tracks from their Dec. 1976 tour in Europe and 1977 studio tracks.  Originally a 2-LP set; the CD issue has 3 bonus singles versions.

Edited by alankin

Given that I'm partial to physical media, I've an old $15 iTunes gift card that's been moulding in a desk drawer's dark corner; however, while trawling through blues' selections I discovered this apparent digital exclusive (as I couldn't find a cd counterpart at the regular spots).  At $12, it's a pretty impressive 130 song collection, including multiple recordings from Lead Belly, Miss.John Williams, Robert J., Blind Willie, Lemon, et al.

1200x630bf.jpg

Early on I encountered "Canned Heat Blues" (I just realized the songs are organized alphabetically) and thought, 'couldn't be', but sure enough a quick check of wiki revealed the namesource of my beloved blues rockers:  "Canned Heat is an American rock band formed in L.A. in 1965. The group has been noted for its interpretations of blues material and for its efforts to promote interest in this type of music and its original artists. It was launched by two blues enthusiasts, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, who took the name from Tommy Johnson's 1928 'Canned Heat Blues', a song about an alcoholic who had desperately turned to drinking Sterno, generically called 'canned heat'".

This reminds me of a story told by my grandfather regarding his time in boot camp ages ago when the more desperate alcoholics, facing a period of militarily enforced prohibition, turned to drinking aftershave.  Oi!