• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

9d5e120559.jpg

I bought a ticket for the Charles McPherson Quartet's Bimhuis concert next March, but I do not yet have any of McPherson's albums as leader. Are the two Xanadus a good place to start? Do the CD reissues have good sound quality?

Edited by erwbol

It's time for my annual visits from some Ghosts of Newports Past  . . .

R-6060846-1439412780-6903.jpeg.jpg

00374420.jpeg

From July 4, 1959

MI0003684545.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MB194516W595.jpg

From July 1, 1960

41PV2CJZZML.jpg

Four sets, allegedly all from July 3, 1958.  With the recent passing of Chuck Berry, it seems Kenny Burrell is the sole survivor from these performances 59 years ago.  Some fine music, in pretty good sound.  I assume they came from VOA broadcasts/sources as Willis Conover's introductions for each act are included.

Edited by duaneiac

10 hours ago, erwbol said:

I bought a ticket for the Charles McPherson Quartet's Bimhuis concert next March, but I do not yet have any of McPherson's albums as leader. Are the two Xanadus a good place to start? Do the CD reissues have good sound quality?

Let me say first that I`m a dedicated follower of Charles McPherson and therefore my view may not be too objective .... having said that, strongly believe that his Xanadu outings are among the best ones he recorded - sound quality is very, very good (and furthermore a vast improvement to the LP`s which unfortunately were pressed on low quality vinyl) = buy with confidence, your`re in for a treat .....

George Schullerround 'bout now (Playscape Recordings)

51X-CLafEDL.jpg

Personnel:
George Schuller: drums, cymbals, bells and things you shake; Donny McCaslin: tenor and soprano sax, alto flute; Ingrid Jensen: trumpet, flugelhorn; Tom Beckham: vibes; Dave Ambrosio: bass; plus Pete McCann: guitar (1, 2, 3-6); Matt Dariau: kaval and bass clarinet (5, 8); Sonny Barbato: accordion (5, 8).

Tribute to Miles Davis' pre-fusion transitional period of the late 1960s with arrangements of three Miles Davis compositions plus five originals that are inspired by that era.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Broadcast No.16 [July 28, '45][on Vol. 9 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

MI0000414898.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Live broadcast from the State Theatre, Hartford CT.

Titles include: Frustration, Everything But You, Moon Mist, Rockin' In Rhythm, Black Beauty, Trumpet in Spades, Just A-Sittin' and A-Rockin'.

Personnel:
Shelton Hemphill,  Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis, Al Hibbler(v).