Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-5738757-1444092788-4520.jpeg.jpg

The Best of Mississippi John Hurt (Vanguard)

Hearing him end this live concert with his version of "You Are my Sunshine" reminded me of the first time I heard John Hurt. He was performing on, of all places, The Tonight Show. Iirc, it was in 1963. As I say, I had never heard him (or of him) before, but I knew that he was someone special. Johnny Carson, on the other hand, seemed to have no idea what to make of him.

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at the Village Vanguard

Just started listening to this and it sure sounds great!

:tup:tup 

Now playing:
Eric AlexanderSummit Meeting (Milestone Records)
— Eric Alexander: tenor saxophone; Nicholas Payton: trumpet and flugelhorn; Harold Mabern: piano; John Webber: bass; Joe Farnsworth: drums

MI0000364552.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by alankin

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Broadcast No.17 [Aug 4, '45][on Vol.9 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

MI0000414898.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Shelton Hemphill,  Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis, Al Hibbler(v).

Titles include: Creole Love Call, The Magazine Suite (Downbeat Shuffle, Esquire Swank, Metronome All Out), Riff Staccato, Everything But You, Passion Flower, Frantic Fantasy, Air Conditioned Jungle, On the Sunny Side of the Street.

Live broadcast from Radio City Studios, NYC.

Edited by alankin

Frank Gratkowski Project – Loft Exile V - CD 1 (Leo Records)

MI0001794533.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Frank Gratkowski (alto saxophone, clarinet, bass and contrabass clarinet); Herb Robertson (trumpet); Wolter Wierbos (trombone); Dieter Manderscheid (bass); Wilbert DeJoode (bass); Gerry Hemingway (drums); Michael Vatcher (drums).

This project was in celebration of Gratkowski's 40th birthday as well as 15 years of Loft, Cologne & 25 years of Leo Records.  It was recorded live at the 32nd New Jazz Festival Moers (Germany) in 2003.