So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1d299d5abf557eddb6028914c47a83ec--art-bl

Terrific set.  Great solos all round.  Contains my favourite Mobley composition "Late Show"" (aka Hank's Other Tune).  It was this piece, on an Esquire EP,  that made me sit up and notice Hank and Hard Bop when still a teenager.

Edited by JohnS

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, duaneiac said:

MI0001409511.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0001407232.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I wonder if his name was changed to "Freddy" on the album cover just because "y" was more aesthetically pleasing in that graphic layout than an "ie" would have been.  It's a nice album which probably slips under the radar of a lot of folks.

Very good Piano Trio platter ....

MI0000654215.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Terrific set.  Great solos all round.  Contains my favourite Mobley composition "Late Show"" (aka Hank's Other Tune).  It was this piece, on an Esquire EP,  that made me sit up and notice Hank and Hard Bop when still a teenager.

Undisputed classic! :tup

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Hank's solo on "Nica's Dream"! The Hankenstein.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

R-2912964-1319130268.jpeg.jpg    R-4378140-1363288013-3925.jpeg.jpg

Another fine Silver/Mobley/Byrd/Watkins album.

As for the Miles, I should have been there, but went home to Leeds during the student vacation. My student friend, the late Jack Massarik, was there

Tito PuenteRoyal T (Concord Records)

MI0000653291.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Tito Puente - timbales, timbalitos, marimba, percussion; Johnny Rodriguez - bongos, percussion; Jose Rodriguez - bongos, percussion; Piro Rodrigues - trumpet, flugelhorn; Tony Lujan - trumpet, flugelhorn; Mario Rivera - piccolo, flute, soprano and tenor saxes; Bobby Porcelli - alto and baritone saxes; Sam Burtis - trombone; Arturo Velasco - trombone; Sonny Bravo - piano; Bobby Rodriguez - bass; Rebeca Mauleon - synthesizer.

Tunes by Puente, Mauleon, Charlie Parker, Horace Silver, Charles Mingus, Goodman, Eddy Martinez & Louis Ramirez.