Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rostasi said:

That's the wonderful 5-LP set released in celebration of what would've been Ives' 100th birthday.
I have other Ives recordings, but this has always had a special place in my collection since then.

It was a Columbia set with the usual suspects. I lost mine in an early vinyl purge and ultimately bought another.

MI0000364555.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002293010.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Recordings from 1959, not issued until 2002.  In the liner notes, Terry Gibbs writes that he discovered 11 boxes of reel-to-reel tapes in one of his home closets after having to move following an earthquake in 1994.  These selections came from those recordings.  Out of 11 boxes of recordings, one would hope that there would be enough quality material to merit a follow up CD.  I guess the question would be if there is even a market for such material any more.  I would certainly be eager to buy & hear more by this band.  Arrangements were by Al Cohn, Bob Brookmeyer and Manny Albam among others.  Marty Paich's arrangement of "Opus One" is a standout.

Edited by duaneiac

Ted Brown Quartet.-------Live at Trumpets-------(Cadence jazz records)

Two dates from 2006 and 2010 from the evergreen Tristanite tenor man. Jon Easton plays piano Lennie would have been proud of and Mr Brown is his laid back and inventive usual self. No surprises in tune choices.

Only pity is none of Brown's own compositions are included. Sound quality is decent enough, suitably informal with the sound of the sax a bit too recessed. Cranking up the volume does the trick. Anyone who has followed Ted's catalog of recordings grow over the years will enjoy this I'm sure. I for one really adore his work and can never get enough of his playing. On a down note however the liner notes appear to imply that he is no longer performing. 

9780563388272.jpg

Disc 2 of 2, which includes the programs "Drums Along The Mersey" and "The Mummified Priest".

a5e396d362f0f7b3dfa2f38c2eaf2aa2.499x494

Songs on this disc are selected from recordings he made for episodes of the Navy Swings radio program in the mid to late 1960's.  The songs are all pretty concise (only 2 exceed 3 minutes), but the small groups accompanying him included Jack Sheldon, Bob Enevoldsen, Herb Ellis and Jimmy Rowles (on organ!).

Edited by duaneiac