• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wardell Gray – Wardell Gray Memorial Album Vol 1 (Prestige Records)

81Qa4Uux7wL._SX522_.jpg

Wardell Gray - Tenor Saxophone, with: 
— Al Haig - Piano; Tommy Potter - Bass; Roy Haynes - Drums (NYC, 1949), and
— Frank Morgan - Alto Saxophone; Teddy Charles - Vibes; Sonny Clark - Piano; Dick Nivison - Bass; Larry Marable - Drums (Teddy Charles's West Coasters, LA, 1953)

Mike Reed's People, Places & Things – About Us (482 Music)
— Greg Ward (alto saxophone), Tim Haldeman (tenor saxophone), Jason Roebke (bass), Mike Reed (drums) with David Boykin (tenor saxophone), Jeb Bishop (trombone), Jeff Parker (guitar)

41A3WkWe4DL.jpg

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

MI0001682166.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Jaki Byard - On the Spot! (Prestige)
Helluva record -- and nobody seems to talk about it much. When I first heard it, I said to myself, "O.K. I need to hear everything from Jaki Byard."

For me the best track here being the Trio track with George Tucker + Alan Dawson titled "Spanish Tinge", which was obviously a leftover from this live gig .... :

R-5684489-1399846761-8155.jpeg.jpg

It is a pity, that this Trio was not awarded a studio session ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

For me the best track here being the Trio track with George Tucker + Alan Dawson titled "Spanish Tinge", which was obviously a leftover from this live gig .... :

R-5684489-1399846761-8155.jpeg.jpg

It is a pity, that this Trio was not awarded a studio session ....

"Spanish Tinge" is wonderful, for sure.  But I also LOVE the quartet tracks with Jimmy Owens, Paul Chambers, and Billy Higgins. 

I especially dig the interplay between Owens and Byard. I wish they could have recorded more together. 

MI0001959430.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Louis Hayes Sextet - Blue Lou (SteepleChase, 1993).  Eddie Allen - trumpet; Gerald Hayes - alto sax; Javon Jackson - tenor sax; Ronnie Mathews - piano; Clint Houston - bass; Louis Hayes - drums.

MI0001814424.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Darrell Grant Quintet - The New Bop (Criss Cross jazz, 1995).  Scott Wendholt - trumpet; Seamus Blake - tenor, soprano sax; Darrell Grant - piano; Calvin Jones - bass; Brian Blade - drums.

More Jaki Byard:

MI0000302137.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This CD intermingles tracks from two different LPs: Solo Piano and Jaki Byard with Strings.  Usually I don't like it when reissuers "shuffle the deck" like that, but -- IMHO -- it works beautifully here.  Then again, my first exposure to this music was on this CD. I imagine if I knew the music from the original LPs, I'd be disappointed that it was resequenced.  ...In any case, this is some magnificent music.  

By the way, the cuts with strings aren't like the Charlie Parker with Strings record. In this case, "strings" refers to George Benson's guitar, Ray Nance's violin, and Richard Davis' & Ron Carter's basses.

Joe Lovano Us Five – Cross Culture (Blue Note Records)
— Joe Lovano – tenor and G mezzo-soprano saxophone, aulochrome, tárogató, oborom drum, gongs, shakers, puddle drums; James Weidman – piano; Esperanza Spalding – bass or Peter Slavov – bass; Otis Brown III – drums; Francisco Mela – drums, balafon, whistle; plus Lionel Loueke – guitar

MI0003472376.jpg?partner=allrovi.com