So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

:tup:tup:tup Percy Sledge is my favorite soul singer. There were perhaps others who were stronger, but Percy always did it for me.

Probably his monsterhit "When A Man Loves A Woman" - actually one of the weaker songs of his portfolio - was overdone but Percy Sledge was an undisputed master of countryfied Southern Soul and his performances of "It Tears Me Up", "Out Left Field", "Just Out Of Reach", "Take Time To Know Her", "It`s All Wrong But It`s All Right" "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" and others are part of the pantheon of this genre .....

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When we lived in Swaziland '68 t0 '71, they were talking about Percy Sledge all the time, and 13 year old me, who had been in Africa since '66, didn't know who he was. But he was a STAR in Swaziland, one of the first American music stars to appear, and he was loved there.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

When we lived in Swaziland '68 t0 '71, they were talking about Percy Sledge all the time, and 13 year old me, who had been in Africa since '66, didn't know who he was. But he was a STAR in Swaziland, one of the first American music stars to appear, and he was loved there.

At one point, I had an album supposedly recorded live in Africa, but it was one of those phony "live" albums with overdubbed applause.

s-l300.jpg

I'll be damned if I've heard of a band that had such a miniscule yet obvious between the hits and the album cuts. And they were trying, you know, these albums weren't just hits plus filler. Every now and then, yes, but very seldomly.

Like the old Capitol LPs used to say: File Under: Missed It By JUST That Much