• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Giants of JazzGiants Of Jazz In Berlin '71 (EmArcy Records / Nippon Phonogram)
— With Dizzy Gillespie – trumpet; Sonny Stitt – alto and tenor saxophone; Kai Winding – trombone; Thelonious Monk – piano; Al McKibbon – double bass; Art Blakey – drums

51DnmujJAaL._SS450.jpg

The_Door_%28Steve_Lacy_album%29.jpg

Steve Lacy - The Door (RCA Novus). One of my favorite Lacy albums, largely due to the variety - tunes by Monk, Ellington, Bud Powell, George Handy, and Lacy himself, and no two successive tracks have the same instrumentation.

Mr. Lacy would have been 83 today.

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

Steve Lacy - The Door (RCA Novus). One of my favorite Lacy albums, largely due to the variety - tunes by Monk, Ellington, Bud Powell, George Handy, and Lacy himself, and no two successive tracks have the same instrumentation.

:tup:tup:tup!!!

wondering whether this is really Jon Eardley and Jacques Pelzer with Strings...

https://www.discogs.com/Ken-James-And-His-Orchestra-We-Go-To-Midnight-Party/release/2269319

https://www.discogs.com/Jon-Eardly-And-His-Romantic-Strings-Midnight-Music/release/4525743

it does sound plausible (and not like a high point of their careers)

cbc975431d.jpg

Listening to a CD-R collection of my numerous Soul Brothers Six 45`s - still hard to believe both that the marvelous John Ellison didn`t make it to Soul stardom and that until today no legit compilation of their Atlantic and Phil L.A. Of Soul material saw release ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

R-6449978-1419532088-8772.jpeg.jpg

Terrific Southern Soul singer .... btw truly outstanding transfer via Sundazed ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

cbc975431d.jpg

Listening to a CD-R collection of my numerous Soul Brothers Six 45`s - still hard to believe both that the marvelous John Ellison didn`t make it to Soul stardom and that until today no legit compilation of their Atlantic and Phil L.A. Of Soul material saw release ....

Lots of :tup

2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Plus Sam Woodyard, who passed a month and a half after this was recorded. I imagine that this was Mr. Woodyard's last recording.