• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

61OW0-FbSpL._SY355_.jpg

I found this CD in a "bargain bin" a couple years ago and bought it.  It's a terrific CD!

My recent listening:

514mjqJavYL._SX466_.jpg

MI0004150971.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

52612623?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

A really good CD (recorded in Feb. of this year) with a nice assortment of songs.  The only one which didn't work for me was "Shiny Stockings" which seemed to show the age in Ms. Morrison's voice.  Houston Person just rolls right along doing what he's always done and it still works fine.

10952902.jpg

51%2BKC78v82L.jpg

R-5744736-1401471527-6087.jpeg.jpg

Eugenie Baird is probably a pretty obscure singer today.  I only know of her because I enjoy listening to old-time radio shows and she was the featured female singer on one of Bing Crosby's radio shows for a while.  She was not really a jazz singer, but she had a lovely, fluid voice and was well skilled at song interpretation.  I don't know if she recorded much, but I'm glad Fresh Sound reissued the 25 minutes of this album.  Very good.  (Huh -- I did not know Taft Jordan's first name was James.)

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Excellent ....

Indeed it is.  I only wish there were more recordings of Lee Konitz in this Nonet setting.  The band is very nimble and swinging and the arrangements make good use of the instrumentation to create a very rich sound.  Hopefully there might be some concert recordings of the group laying around in storage somewhere that will get released one day.

Now playing:

MI0002480379.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002312064.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Indeed it is.  I only wish there were more recordings of Lee Konitz in this Nonet setting.  The band is very nimble and swinging and the arrangements make good use of the instrumentation to create a very rich sound.  Hopefully there might be some concert recordings of the group laying around in storage somewhere that will get released one day.

I do presume you know these .... :

LEE_KONITZ_NONET-532931.jpg

d56e01ed59.jpg

Roulette YX-7561-RO japanese Press ....

MI0002051249.jpg?partner=allrovi.com