• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0713746810122_600.jpg

51rqkgC-38L.jpg

Catherine Russell is such a great singer.  I ish she would get even half the attention and accolades given, say, Cassandra Wilson.  She may get overlooked because so much of the material she chooses to record is vintage stuff, but she is by no means a cutesy revivalist singer trying to mimic the styles and manners of singers of a bygone era.  She sings this material with respect and affection, but she also makes it sound fresh and fun.  So many good songs get overlooked nowadays while the same old standards are  done over and over by singers.  Here, songs like "Ev'ntide", "I'm Checkin' Out, Goom-bye" and "Sachel Mouth Baby" sparkle like little lost gems.  And the closing tune has these wonderful lines:  "What 'cha gonna do when the night is young / And you wanna swing and you can't get swung".  Forget "Beauty And The Beast" -- that right there, my friends, is the real "tale as old as time"!

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

0713746810122_600.jpg

51rqkgC-38L.jpg

Catherine Russell is such a great singer.  I ish she would get even half the attention and accolades given, say, Cassandra Wilson.  She may get overlooked because so much of the material she chooses to record is vintage stuff, but she is by no means a cutesy revivalist singer trying to mimic the styles and manners of singers of a bygone era.  She sings this material with respect and affection, but she also makes it sound fresh and fun.  So many good songs get overlooked nowadays while the same old standards are  done over and over by singers.  Here, songs like "Ev'ntide", "I'm Checkin' Out, Goom-bye" and "Sachel Mouth Baby" sparkle like little lost gems.  And the closing tune has these wonderful lines:  "What 'cha gonna do when the night is young / And you wanna swing and you can't get swung".  Forget "Beauty And The Beast" -- that right there, my friends, is the real "tale as old as time"!

She's great.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/730/MI0001730813.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/004/MI0002004231.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Count Basie The Columbia Sessions (1941-1951)

I´m still hoping that Mosaic will come out with the remaing records during Basie´s time with Columbia and hopefully also the RCA-Victor records.

I own those 3 boxes, but I guess Mosaic will do rather better Job with them!

What do you think about that?

Folder.jpg