Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I wasn't expecting anything too adventurous, certainly not earth-shattering. But it's good music, nice listening. I'm also a fan of Swedish jazz of this vintage, these tracks fit in well with others I have.

I figured you weren't. I just found it strange upon listening to these records that reviews published elsewhere (or general write-ups on these releases) elevated them on such a pedestal.

20 hours ago, paul secor said:

You've got some good sides going tonight (or whatever time of day it is in Australia).

:tup

Early afternoon (next day) down here and I really should be out in the yard, but... just one more :P

Joe_Harrioptt-abstract.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Abstract

Edited by Marzz

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I figured you weren't. I just found it strange upon listening to these records that reviews published elsewhere (or general write-ups on these releases) elevated them on such a pedestal.

Most of what I read about these were in stereo magazine and from audiophiles; I got the impression that in some cases it was among the few jazz recordings known and in their collection. . . so they may have felt this was adventurous or ground-breaking with little context.

10 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-2412203-1282627982.jpeg.jpg

Charlie Haden with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell: The Montreal Tapes

:tup  :tup 

Now playing:

Dave Brubeck – The Dave Brubeck Octet (Fantasy Records / OJC)
MI0000504466.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Dave Brubeck - piano; Paul Desmond - alto saxophone; Jack Weeks - bass; Cal Tjader - drums; William O. Smith - clarinet; Bob Collins - baritone saxophone; Dick Collins - trumpet; Dave VanKreidt - tenor saxophone.

Originally issued on 10-in LPs entitled Old Sounds From San Francisco (recorded 1946-48) and Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals (1950).

Edited by alankin

51GIy9NhqgL.jpg

I think some folks try to listen to those Maynard Ferguson Roulette/etc records and miss the great writing that is so often there because they can't get past Maynard. Well, here's a chance to hear a lot of that same type of writing without Maynard. AND with Yusef, By George, Max (sometimes) primo Richard Williams, just a gaggle of giggers + 2 bonus cuts not on the original LP.

Don't know if this one has been raptured yet, but if not, carpe diem now, thank yourself later.

Eero Koivistoinen Quartet – Hati Hati (Svart Records)
— Eero Koivistoinen (tenor sax), Alexi Tuomarila (piano), Jori Huhtala (bass), Jussi Lehtonen (drums); liner notes by David Liebman

koist.png

Just received this one with a small batch from the Svart Records Summer sale.  (This title came to a little over $5 shipped.) 

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra – World Broadcasting Series, Vol. 5 [5b – 7 Aug1945] (Circle Records)

81fLb-JjPIL._SX375_.jpg

Personnel:
Shelton Hemphill,  Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Joya Sherrill, Al Hibbler(v).

Titles include: Ultra Blue, Frustration, Hollywood Hangover, Blues On The Double, Kissing Bug, Passion Flower, In A Jam, In the Shade of the Apple Tree.  Liner notes by Eddie Lambert.  Includes eight alternate takes.