Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have long been reading criticisms of Phil Woods playing in the last 3 or 4 decades of his life  I have a very different point of view. While Woods playing changed a bit over the years as is the case for many musicians, Phil remained one of my favorite alto players up until his death. Woods knew how to swing, how to craft an interesting solo, and had  deep jazz roots that permeated his playing.

It now seems as if Pete Christlieb has become persona non gratis as a jazz player to some here. I consider Christlieb to be one of my very favorite living tenor players. I recall reading an interview with Warne Marsh in CODA Magazine where he called Christlieb one of the players saying more on tenor than anyone else. I stand with Warne. 

4 hours ago, Morganized said:

It is easy to criticize..... I, instead, prefer to cheer those in the arena!! 

I dunno, gents.  I'm with you in one respect: I enjoy Woods' playing.  Almost all of it.  And I think his work in the 70s and 80s was -- at times -- particularly inspired. On most days, I'd probably prefer his playing during those years to his work in the 50's!  

But, on the other hand, I would hate to have a forum where people can't honestly express their opinions, right?  Because, after all, that's what ALL of our musical judgments are.  Larry and Jim don't like Woods' later work.  Peter and Morganized (and I) do.

As long as we keep things honest and respectful, there's "no harm, no foul," right?

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I dunno, gents.  I'm with you in one respect: I enjoy Woods' playing.  Almost all of it.  And I think his work in the 70s and 80s was -- at times -- particularly inspired. On most days, I'd probably prefer his playing during those years to his work in the 50's!  

But, on the other hand, I would hate to have a forum where people can't honestly express their opinions, right?  Because, after all, that's what ALL of our musical judgments are.  Larry and Jim don't like Woods' later work.  Peter and Morganized (and I) do.

As long as we keep things honest and respectful, there's "no harm, no foul," right?

Some prime Woods from 1956 and before; the continuity of his thinking and the sense IMO that when he gets hot (as in his solo on “Walkin’”) the heat is an internal product of the evolution of the solo rather than a matter of the use/application of “hot” devices.

(with Jon Eardley, 1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ywsq07mnU

(with George Wallington, 1956)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czFD6fpAaPc

(with Quincy Jones, “A Sleepin’ Bee," 1956; dig the relaxed shapliness of Woods’ exit from the solo)

(with Quincy Jones, “Walkin'," 1956; Woods enters at about 6:32)

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Some prime Woods from 1956 and before; the continuity of his thinking and the sense IMO that when he gets hot (as in his solo on “Walkin’”) the heat is an internal product of the evolution of the solo rather than a matter of the use/application of “hot” devices.

(with Jon Eardley, 1954)

(with Quincy Jones, “A Sleepin’ Bee," 1956; dig the relaxed shapliness of Woods’ exit from the solo)

Many musicians have "devices", hot or otherwise, that they use in their solos. Sometimes they are pet phrases that the listener can find in a number of solos by that musician. Those familiar devices are what often makes it rather easy for the seasoned listener to identify the specific player.

Currently listening to this one  with Clark Terry, Willie Cook, Britt Woodman, Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, Harry Carney, 312GQ1kDSrL.jpg 

Billy Taylor, Earl May, and Ed Thigpen

Sure, many musicians have such devices, but IMO in the solos I linked to, and in many other Woods solos from that period, they were not so much, if at all, devices but organic outgrowths of Woods' on-going soloistic "argument." That they eventually became  (and arguably in exaggerated form) devices for him is, as hear it, the problem.

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

(with Jon Eardley, 1954)

I really dig all that stuff, Larry.  You'll get no argument from me that Woods' early music is wonderful.  

I just like his later music too. I understand that it sounds self-conscious and forced to you.  But it doesn't sound that way to me. ;) 

NP:

JackWalrath_HiJinx.png

Jack Walrath - Hi Jinx (Stash)

I've been on a Jack Walrath kick lately. It's been fun working my way through his discography. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

When it comes to things Christlieb, make mine Don!

As for both Woods & Pete C., they each made two of the most distinctive and memorable recorded saxophone solos of the Rock Era, and no, not everybody can do that. So, respect where due, no problem.

The_Jazz_Crusaders_at_the_Lighthouse.jpg

Completely ignored the Jazz Crusaders back in the day.  IIRC their records were not widely available over here but more likely I was much more interested in the exciting stuff  going on the east coast at the time.

Edited by JohnS