So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

61El4hunU9L._SY450_.jpg

Bobby Watson & Horizon - The Inventor (Blue Note, 1989)
Bobby Watson (as); Willie Williams (ts); Melton Mustafa (tr); Edward Simon (p, synth); Benny Green (p); Carroll V. Dashiell Jr. (b); Victor Lewis (d); Don Alias (perc)

I have heard Watson play the title track live. He has introduced it by saying, "this song is called The Inventor. It is dedicated to my father who is a great inventor. I am one of his greatest inventions."

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61sk2AAbJyL._SY355_.jpg

The Radiators - Wild & Free (Radz). I love this New Orleans rock band, but I just said to a friend that there's not one album by them that's great all the way through - one that would convince the nonbeliever. On listening to disc one of this 1978-2008 compilation of rarities, I have to say that Wild & Free comes pretty close, with a few caveats. Some of the tracks are low-fi live recordings, and there are still a couple of weaker songs, but there is much weird, funky, swampy goodness. Among other pleasures here is the only issued version of their song cycle (I don't know what else to call it - a suite, maybe) "Songs From the Ancient Furnace" - which ironically is not the album of that name.

11 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I have heard Watson play the title track live. He has introduced it by saying, "this song is called The Inventor. It is dedicated to my father who is a great inventor. I am one of his greatest inventions."

I saw Horizon on a couple of occasions around the time that that album and 'Post Motown Bop' were released. They played 'The Inventor' and I remember him saying something about his father.

R-497398-1306168147.jpeg.jpg

51d0PJwZpUL.jpg

A dead ringer for James Brown on the uptempo stuff - but definitely more soulful on the ballad side .... the japanese P-Vine CD reissue adds some worthy unreleased tracks to the original content feat on the "Jealous" Tri-Us vinyl from 1972 ....

Edited by soulpope