So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

MI0000888674.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000888673.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Steve Allen must have still been in Benny Goodman mode a couple of years after he starred in that infamous biopic.  Here he is leading a Goodman style sextet (with Gus Bivona on clarinet and GB was certainly no BG, nor was Steve-arino a Teddy Wison, Jess Stacy or Mel Powell for that matter) through a series of rather loose jams on this album originally recorded for Roulette.  Terry Gibbs provided the most musical interest here for me.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That disc inspired me to listen to more Terry Gibbs so I got out this

bb9e3348b0c198c9f7ca52a3802f47115739573d

and am listening to Disc 1, which includes the albums Terry Gibbs and Mallets-A-Plenty.  Both albums featured Terry Pollard on piano.  There's a very good player who seems all but forgotten today.  I wonder if Terry Gibbs himself gets all the recognition he deserves among vibes players.  Whatever the context, whether big band or small group, he was (and I guess still is) a font of energy and swing.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

The other day I heard on the radio "All the Things You Are" from Gibbs' recent album "92 Years Young." An elegant swinging solo from the man.

Thanks for posting this,  I had heard about his new CD, but had not heard anything from it.  I was kind of skeptical about it, first of all because he has been retired for a few years, so I wondered if he "still had it" after not playing for an extended time.  Secondly, I remember how Lionel Hampton was but a shadow of himself in his later years.  I remember he was a guest on Conan O'Brien's show once and I couldn't watch it, it was so sad seeing Hamp like that.  But this track does swing and it could easily be mistaken for something Terry Gibbs might have recorded 20-25 years ago.  He certainly "still had it" on this number.

Now playing:

R-1905076-1282914246.jpeg.jpg

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra with special guests Jimmy Rushing and Billie Holiday (whose voice was in very good shape here for 1958)