• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually like Robert Goulet as a "thing"...can't stand his singing, but he's so...whatever he is, it's like finding fault with lemons for being lemony. No, they are what they are, and if you don't like lemons, don't blame the lemon. Me, I prefer limes. But lemons, there they are.

also, the older I get, the less use I have for "songs", but also the more I like hearing lyrics, as long as there are songs with words, like the man said, know the lyrics. Just playing a "song" without having the context of the original setting including the lyrics (and verses where applicable), hell if there's not that, let's just not fuck with "songs" any more. That'd be ok with me, but...

Just saying...thos tunes that take the odd jag here and there, or have the really distinctive melodic contours, a lot of the time, knowing the lyrics explains why that's happening more better than does just knowing "the tune".

This here is still a mind fuck to me, I never knew that there was a verse, and I never knew how that first Fminor chord was a resolution instead of a beginning. Totally belw me away, and I don't hear the song the same way ever again.

None of which justifies Robret Goulet, but nobody asked me, and he's been her and gone, so, he wins.

816jqSOd5OL._SL1400_.jpg

Disc 3 of 4, which covers the period from June - Dec. of 1932.  You have to give Cab Calloway his due.  He led an incredibly successful band in the midst of the Depression, no mean feat in itself.  This disc has 23 tracks recorded in just 6 months.  That's a lot of recording activity, so the record company must have been confident they could sell a lot of his records -- again, in the midst of the Depression, when most folks had to watch their nickels and dimes very carefully.  And like most bands, his was probably touring at the same time, with a popular "name" band like his typically touring and playing 200+ gigs a year, with some of those gigs being theater engagements where they had to do like 8 shows a day.  And audiences who came to see his band expected to hear Cab Calloway sing.  Just as most all the songs here feature his vocals, I'm guessing the same was true of his band's live performances.  That's a lot of wear and tear on the human voice. -- and even when he wasn't singing, audiences expected to see him dance and lead the band in his characteristically  energetic fashion.  To keep up that level of activity year after year is quite impressive.

As far as the music goes, sure there are some dud, throwaway tunes that I guess the record company pushed on him, but like Fats Waller, he infuses his personality into them and at least tries to make something out of nothing.  There are some classics here like "Reefer Man", "Old Man of The Mountain", "I Got A Right To Sing The Blues" and 'Gotta Go Places and Do Things".  The remastered sound seems very good for recordings of this vintage.  The band sounds like a very well-rehearsed, tightly knit group.  Probably the most notable names in the band were Doc Cheatham, Walter Thomas and Eddie Barefield.  For some reason, guitarist Roy Smeck guested on 2 tracks

Edited by duaneiac