• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

6173CCOc2dL.jpg

Sidewinder and I were there. Unfortunately not together. :D

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Received opinion keeps changing too.  When I started really listening to jazz in 1961 received opinion was that  Ahmad Jamal was a cocktail pianist, post army Prez was much inferior to his earlier work, Pops' big band work was unworthy of him, Stan Kenton was head of some sort of overblown cult, and after Moanin', Art Blakey had become a cliche. (I'm embarrassed to admit that I once wrote a club review of the 2nd great Miles quintet in which I referred to Wayne Shorter having "escaped the confines of The Jazz Messengers".)  

Received opinion now disagrees with all of this except Kenton.   (And btw I still agree with  some of the old opinions.) 

Yes, those were the days. Electronic instruments such as organ - and possibly vibes - were suspect, too.

However, let's not even look into the opinions of dyed-in-the-wool British traddies, who considered that anything without a banjo was too modern and that Ellington ceased to be a jazz musician after c.1935. :crazy:

Slow. Shirley Horn-type slow. The slower the better for hearing the inner parts and the bass/tuba interaction.

Let's talk about how the absence of vibrato is a really effective way to change the perception of time, how vibrato is usually almost always faster than the tempo, so when yoiu take it away, you have fewer anticipation points of where the next beat goes. Let's also talk about how the tenisons that result from a really tight voicing can create an illusion of vibrato, and how natural overtone bumpings are NOT vibrato, and then let's talk about being a smart enough writer to realize that, and then to get the band to play it just so. And let's also talk about how high brass is definitely a color to paint with, was is vibrato and all sorts of other things.

And really, I don't think that much of either "Stan Kenton" OR Stan Kenton, but writers, that's something else entirely, and give a dog his bone on the day it's due for him to have it, this piece of Made-For-MOR tickles me pink the way it fuses  Ahmad Jamal, clockmaking, Gepetto-like will-imposition, and an overall sense of story arc with some pretty lightweight source material...darkness where there should be light, BIGHT BLINDING FUTURE LIGHT, to sell the record and/or the image.

Is it neurotic? Oh hell yeah, but it's a neurosis that is happy within itself and makes no attempt to overcompensate. Would that all Stan Kenton music was this way, and there is enough "Stan Kenton" music from various writers over the years that I'm no longer going to be the blatant reflexively RUN AWAY! NOW! that I was for a good long while. I have done the work, listened to the music (a damn whole lot of it, a few years ago, had to do it just to get closure) and have realized that although Stan Kenton was pretty much a guru for a cult that had to create itself, he sure couldn't do it just by himself,. within "Stan Kenton" (I refuse to say The Creative World Of Stan Kenton, that's part of the deal, non-negotiable), there is enough (some days more than enough) delightful music to be found, sometimes in spite of itself, sometimes, as with Willie Maiden, just because that was where that greatness was living at the time) hey, I'll take it and like it.

And sometimes, the goofiness is too rich to ignore!

1941 Kenton, the guy crtainly sounds like he means business, as does his band. Howard Rumsey on bass, iirc, and he was playing amped iirc. However much Kenton had to go to other writers to create the tree, I think it's fair to say that the notion of faster/louder/higher, nos a stunt, but as a real expression of whatever it was he had going on inside himself, that was Kenton, and damned if it still doesn't get my attention for willing to be that much....that.

Earlier tonight on the way home from work:

61wv5KfsW9L._SX500_.jpg

Jerry Gonzalez - Ya Yo Me Curé (Sunnyside, originally issued on American Clavé)
Includes a brilliant version of Monk's "Evidence." 

NP:

R-1252268-1305690855.jpeg.jpg

Randy Weston - S/T (PAUSA)
Solo recital recorded in Italy in '76. Typically great Weston playing & compositions.

Edited by HutchFan