• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HRS Mosaic, discs 1&2: Pee Wee Russell Rhythmakers and Trio, Bechet-Spanier Big Four, Rex Stewart's Big Seven, Jack Teagarden's Big Eight, Sandy William's Big Eight, J.C. Higginbotham Big Eight, Jimmy Jones Big Eight & Babe Mathews with Joe Thomas... Big deal!

R-2874015-1305076589.jpeg.jpg

Edited by EKE BBB

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

HRS Mosaic, discs 1&2: Pee Wee Russell Rhythmakers and Trio, Bechet-Spanier Big Four, Rex Stewart's Big Seven, Jack Teagarden's Big Eight, Sandy William's Big Eight, J.C. Higginbotham Big Eight, Jimmy Jones Big Eight & Babe Mathews with Joe Thomas... Big deal!

R-2874015-1305076589.jpeg.jpg

One of my favorite Mosaics

R-3049592-1357496461-8075.jpeg.jpg

Having just finished reading the Stan Levey biography, I've been listening to some albums with Stan on drums. This playing by everyone on this album is unbelievable really, the highest level imaginable. And there was tension in the air at the session, too. Norman Granz deliberately brought Stan Levey and Sonny Stitt together for this record.  A few years earlier Stitt got a lesser jail sentence for himself by snitching on Levey (who wound up spending nearly 2 years in jail). All drug related, of course. Thankfully Levey got off drugs in prison and really straightened his life out. But there were fireworks in the studio that day, let me tell you.

Edited by John Tapscott