Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Just released today: a twofer of two Impulse LPs not on cd before, Ornette Coleman "Ornette at 12" and "Crisis."

61fW0g2Mn6L._AC_SL230_.jpg

A report on sound quality would be useful. IIRC the LP issue of "Crisis" (and perhaps of "Ornette at 12" too -- pretty sure I still have both)  was no prize soundwise, although the music was a prize indeed. In particular, again IIRC, "Crisis" was recorded from the audience at a concert.

The mastering is imo very good. You're going to get the sound of the LPs well presented on cd. Ornette at 12 sounds quite good. Crisis sounds like you remember, boomy concert sound, horns in one channel, echoing drums in another, bass sort of blobbing in the center.

Edited by jazzbo

Sonny Rollins – There Will Never Be Another You [on two-fer with Sonny Rollins on Impulse!] (Impulse! / Verve EU – 2-on-1 series )
— Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone; Tommy Flanagan – piano; Bob Cranshaw – bass; Mickey Roker – drums; Billy Higgins - drums

R-5458187-1393870708-2740.jpeg.jpg  MI0003197799.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

R-2993890-1459589054-5886.jpeg.jpg

(IMO) her early recordings showcase a rather lightvoiced girlish style .... things change with "Memphis Queen" and "Queen Alone" - her voice is more mature and gained strength .... what a pity only limited material documented this change/evolution in the 70's ....

Edited by soulpope

Yesterday evening .... :

MI0001890980.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

0ba8bbfb4c.jpg

Fell addicted to Helen Merrill from the day I`ve encountered her album with Cilfford Brown for the first time (aka decades ago) - but based only on a rather recent insisting of my best friend aka forum member "blacksaint" I`ve learned tp appreciate (more) the late Stan Getz - his solos are pure story-telling for sure ....

Ambos Mondus is a nice Hutch album, but the mix is strange, as if the engineer had serious trouble with the jazz drums and the Cuban percussion. Eddie Marshall should have known his busy use of the bass drum would would muddle up the rhythm section. He didn't change his playing a bit for the session, but it doesn't work when you view the congas and timbales just as add-ons. Take Montara as a contrast, where everybody involved knew what to do! 

I like Ambos Mundos, but would have preferred a different drummer.

Yesterday's listening in the car:

71dxcmVr1tL._SL1075_.jpg61-XKls-yCL.jpg61oJbg6PCxL.jpg51yN8qOqkFL.jpg

This morning:

51wT2WhVBML.jpg61c0QPSo0LL.jpg

Caramba's title track is an admitted take-off of Eddie Harris' Listen Here, but fails to generate the same level of groove and excitement, despite the presence of Harris associates Cedar Walton and Billy Hggins. So, back to the real thing. Eddie Harris' Atlantic albums are an indispensable part of my jazz upbringing in the 1970's, more than Coltrane. I think he was great. The new remaster of Silver Cycles sounds terrific!

817qXfyvXQL._SL1050_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil