Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I have a Bill Dobbins duo record with Red Mitchell that was recorded live at Bradley's.  It's called Where One Relaxes, released on Omnisound.  I really like it, but I think that's the only Dobbins that I've ever heard.  What do you think of Cologne, Peter (or others)?

It is good, but not outstanding.

For a number of years Bill Dobbins was on the faculty at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY. When I was living in Rochester, I would get to see him perform many times. He was a very fine jazz player, but never seemed to record much.

Now listening to this one. 

MI0002014475.jpg

Still listening to lots of Lieb:

5185DJSAFXL._SY355_.jpg

David Kane, David Liebman, Michael Smith, Drew Gress - Grey Matters (Magellan Jazz)

61DRlvH-qtL._SS355_.jpg

David Liebman with the JMU Jazz Ensemble / Gunnar Mossblad, Director - Joy: The Music of John Coltrane (Candid)
Liebman has made quite a few records dedicated to Coltrane's music, but I think this is the best of the lot.  The arrangements for large ensemble cast these compositions in a different light -- so it's easy to hear the pieces as something apart from the Coltrane recordings that most of us are so familiar with. Plus, listening to this music blind, you'd NEVER guess that this is a student ensemble.

Edited by HutchFan

MI0003591281.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Like an early Cambrian arthropod that breached the surf for at least a quick turn on turf, a bit of RnR evolution is neatly exhibited in the Du's discography.  The transition from Punk to Post Punk yielded some magnificent work, but little better than this.